Thread: Lake Siskiyou

Default Lake Siskiyou

Just back from Dunsmuir, fished two evenings with Oct. caddis no where to be found. The bugs can be around into December, but not this year on the upper stretch of the river. Ended up taking my nephew out to Lake Siskiyou for some casting lessons and hopefully catch some shallow water fish. Patrick my nephew has plenty of enthusiasm to learn but struggled to get his line out far enough. He saw me wade out deeper and wanted to follow me. He only had some rubber boots, no waders. I told him to fish this one spot that had a drop off next to the shallows where I got a couple of fish. Next thing I know he walked past me, waded out to a stump and did just what I told him not to do. Rubber boots on slippery slimey tree trunks don't mix. I'm sure you know the rest of the story, he slipped in and filled both rubber boots with water. A lesson was learned. I shot a pic of him wringing out his sox after he emptied his boots. Still caught some fiesty rainbows on the drop offs to the flats. Fish were in 5-8' of water taking bead headed buggers in olive and olive with burnt orange maribou tails. Fish averaged 14"=18" and had plenty of fight. I was using a type 4 sinking line, but an Int. or type 2 or 3 would have been better. The 4 sunk so fast that I missed a bunch because the fly was being grabbed with lots of belly in the line. But, the action and steady grabs kept us fishing till dusk. A great day with my nephew.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1250.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	5863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image013small.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	5864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image029small.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	5865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image031small.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	5866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image032small.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	5867
    Last edited by Rockman; 11-27-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Nice!

in the days before I discovered flyfishing I took an annual trip up to Mt. Shasta City for the yearly Datsun Meet. For fourteen years I camped and played with cars within a half an hour of all of that wonderful water and not once did I wet a line.

Shameful...

Thanks for sharing!

_SHig

I bet you could wade around the shores of many trout lakes up in the mountains of CA with some success right now.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........