Thread: North Fork American This Weekend

Default North Fork American This Weekend

I'm considering fishing the NF American Saturday afternoon below Lake Clementine. Does anyone know what the conditions are, especially after the rain? CDEC and USGS websites show a huge spike Thursday, but no data before then.

Thanks.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Default Tracy

Unless you're after smallmouth, drive a little farther up to the Mumford Bar Trailhead. It's a fair grade into the gorge there, but is perhaps the most mild and there will be willing trout in the outside pockets waiting for caddis and hoppers. Lot's of suckers as well, but don't let that that put you off. They've been there for thousands of years!

I once watched a dipper walk a pool bottom from an overhead ledge there. It would walk into the flow, head down, and plane it's way to the bottom. It would then walk a curious serpentine, suddenly bobbing to the the surface like a cork, then spinning down through the eddies like a twig.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Default Sorry-- I thought you were going above the lake...

You must be after smallies.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Tracy,

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up not going, due in part to the apparently high flows. Yes, I was planning to take the kids for some smallies with the outside chance of some trout. I'll keep Mumford Bar in mind for next time.

Thanks.

Paul
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river