Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overdue Hiker

Dave, thanks for putting this up.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default hikers

Saw this today in the LA Times; think it was yesterday's news.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...da-hikers.html
    Best,
    Larry S

I hear what you're saying ycflyfisher. I agree all the bad elements are there but on your initial post it sounded like you were already writing this guy off which seemed premature. It seems like he's a very experienced backcountry traveler and was three/four days overdue at the time. Hoping for the best.

I'm with yc on this one:

No sign, footprints, smoke, of any kind + severe conditions = survival not likely. If he had proper winter/survival gear, then maybe - but the minimalist packing traditions of most backpackers suggests otherwise.

Hope they found him. Lot's of lost people over last weekend. El Dorado County participated in 11 SAR callouts in 5 days.

Chet, you sound like a EDC SAR member, Tahoe team? I'm on the West Slope Ground team. I was out on the Alpine County Mutual Aid last Tuesday, any chance you were there? I went out twice on Monday, both times subject was found before I got on site. Busy week, now back to work (and I wonder why I never have time to fish!).

People seem to have underestimated the weather we had coming in.

Dan Frink
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Quote Originally Posted by ycflyfisher View Post
    Chet,

Believe me I certainly hope they find this guy alive, but that thread unfortunately reads like a horror novel. A PLS from last Friday and uncertain itinerary, leads to a huge search area. Snow on the ground for the last three days yet the groundpounders have seen no sign. Temps that could drive someone hypothermic on the first night. All the bad elements are there.

I hope he's in their grid and they find him alive.

Also for whatever it may be worth I think that anyone that has ever made the "drop everything" and time sacrifices of participating in SAR to provide assistance when the need for assistance is extremely critical should be sainted. It's a service that most outdoors afficiandos think they'll never need and we often take for granted just how much time, money and impact to the personal lives and careers of the participants is given up so that volunteer SAR organizations can do what they do.
    Yup, just ask my wife, but I love it (she likes that I do it too).
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Say hey Dan F,

I know you don't want to make this thread about you....but.....

You are an angel. Every team member of an SAR Unit is an angel. You guys don't hear it enough. I just wanted to tip my cap to you man and say thanks.

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Quote Originally Posted by DFrink View Post
    Hope they found him. Lot's of lost people over last weekend. El Dorado County participated in 11 SAR callouts in 5 days.

Chet, you sound like a EDC SAR member, Tahoe team? I'm on the West Slope Ground team. I was out on the Alpine County Mutual Aid last Tuesday, any chance you were there? I went out twice on Monday, both times subject was found before I got on site. Busy week, now back to work (and I wonder why I never have time to fish!).

People seem to have underestimated the weather we had coming in.

Dan Frink
    Dan...I'm actually on the Tahoe Nordic SAR team. I didn't make it out on the Alpine County search but talked to a couple guys from my team who did. Sounded like an ordeal. Nine hours to drive there in the storm and ten hours of searching (starting at 7PM).
    Last edited by Chet Troutpuncher; 10-31-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: mis-spell

Default getting involved

not to get to off topic here but I was recently thinking about trying to get involved in SAR as a volunteer anybody have any info on how to do this? I haven't done much research but as I spend more time in the back country I see how easily things can go wrong
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Google your local fire/sheriff and they should have a link to their volly page. Most places ask for a decent commitment to make it worthwhile for training.