Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Floated the American yesterday for Steelhead.....

Actually the great lakes are an ocean for anadromous fish. They behave exactly the same as coastal fish. we have steelhead, chinook and coho salmon. All spend the same amount of time in the lakes as coastal fish do in the ocean, then return up rivers to spawn and die. The steelhead and anadromous brown trout do not die after spawning.

The steelhead have infact come from some prolific west coast rivers.. the Smith, Chetco and some BC fish are used for the gene pool.

The interesting thing here is there is practically no successful spawning (except the german browns) so the anadromous fishery is almost completely hatchery dependant.

Thank you Jbird...You are the Mythrebutter... New word.....

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Actually the great lakes are an ocean for anadromous fish. They behave exactly the same as coastal fish. we have steelhead, chinook and coho salmon. All spend the same amount of time in the lakes as coastal fish do in the ocean, then return up rivers to spawn and die. The steelhead and anadromous brown trout do not die after spawning.

The steelhead have infact come from some prolific west coast rivers.. the Smith, Chetco and some BC fish are used for the gene pool.

The interesting thing here is there is practically no successful spawning (except the german browns) so the anadromous fishery is almost completely hatchery dependant.

So if a Rainbow goes through and lives in Shasta Lake and goes up the upper Sac to spawn it will then be a steelhead?
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post

Dude! Sweet! We got our fish from the Eel strain, completely unrelated to this river too.... and ours aren't wild either!

ahahahahahahha

(But there are only a couple fish that come back, as I stand before, there are no fish in the american because if there were, I would have caught them yesterday.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Peters View Post
    Dude! Sweet! We got our fish from the Eel strain, completely unrelated to this river too.... and ours aren't wild either!

ahahahahahahha

(But there are only a couple fish that come back, as I stand before, there are no fish in the american because if there were, I would have caught them yesterday.)

Are you serious about your statement here?

If you are then I will tell you that the Steelhead in the american are winter fish period. Wait until the good winter weather comes in then go out and catch some. The fish everyone is posting as mostly half pounders. All summer and early fall steelhead that dont come up in big numbers anymore. Bill Kiene (from what I remember) also stated the same statement.
    Last edited by winxp_man; 10-22-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Aron-

Jay can you ship us some fish back for the American, we are severely lacking. Never a dull moment on the steelhead board although it's been pretty friendly around these parts lately (and thankfully!)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Jay can you ship us some fish back for the American, we are severely lacking. Never a dull moment on the steelhead board although it's been pretty friendly around these parts lately (and thankfully!)

I see what you did there Aaron
    Aron-

Mike O Guest

By the definition of Great Lakes "steelhead", any trout which lives in the lakes and then spawns upstream are anadromous. Oh well, time to head over to the upper Owens River, the Upper Sacramento River, etc, for some Steelhead and SteelBrowns.

Puhleeeze

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    By the definition of Great Lakes "steelhead", any trout which lives in the lakes and then spawns upstream are anadromous. Oh well, time to head over to the upper Owens River, the Upper Sacramento River, etc, for some Steelhead and SteelBrowns.

Puhleeeze

So what we are doing here is taking out the line that defines what fish is what? Sounds good to me! No more fish wars!! Yayyyy
    Aron-

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    Are you serious about your statement here?
    I catch all the fish. I am a fish magnet. I'm like the hatchery--they all eventually make it to me.