Thread: The McCloud 10/17-19th

Default The McCloud 10/17-19th

A couple buddies and I headed to the McCloud on Wednesday morning. I was curious to see what kind of damage the fire had done. I'd seen some photos of the area on the Cal Trout website but was anxious to see it first hand. The opposite bank looked pretty good. Seems it was mostly underbrush that got torched. It was really dusty and a big first rain will most likely cause come runoff/clarity issues.
    We rolled into Ah-Di-Na around 4PM set up camp and headed downstream for a sunset to dark session. October Caddis were out in force along with smaller caddis and some smaller stones. I had trouble getting my game on. Lost a set up or two, generally thrashed around and struggled to hook up. I believe yfly10 and El Mosca Grande hooked a few but I can't be sure as we were all very thirsty once we arrived in camp.

Dark schwack back to camp.

The next morning we drove up to the PCT turn out and hiked for a bit and then headed down to the river. Being from Truckee, my comfort zone is bob-ima-cating but I was committed to short line nymphing to start the day. I had had some good success this summer with this method on the Truckee and felt it would work well in the pockets and short runs on the McCloud. I proceeded to snag and lose two or three set-ups pretty quickly, got frustrated and switched to a hopper dropper set up. I had stopped at Kiene's on Monday and Bill C. had said we should be hitting the heart of the October Caddis hatch. He recommended his stick caddis for nymphs and what looks very similar to his Emerging Thing except it had a light yellow wound body. I fished this dry on point and dropped all manner of LBS off the back for awhile. No love. Switched to a sink tip and ripped streamers. One grab by a 14-16" fish but it came unbuttoned. I saw the whole thing go down, though, so that was cool.

Elephant ears.

yfly10 working The Mac.

El Mosca Grande with one of the wild 'bows he got in the net.

The October Caddis had been around all day ovipositing, but around 4PM things started getting nutty. Lots of good sized fish catching big air to grab them. This is when Bill's adult caddis pattern became the blue plate special and when the fishing got real fun. Started out working close and had a good sized brown crush it on the first drift. Slowly worked out and up and hooked several other fish. I turned the run over to yfly10 who caught several fish. He turned it over to El Mosca Grande who continued to hook fish. It was a blizzard of caddis and the fish were mental for them.

The next day we hiked from camp and fished the same general area. It was pretty crowded on Friday. Kept running into people up, down and opposite bank. We found one side trail that looked rough but fairly new. Maybe the fire crews cleaned it up?

The fellas caught most of their fish on nymphs (I believe) and I caught almost all of mine on the OC dry. I don't get to catch fish on big drys too often so this was pretty sweet.

This is my fifth or sixth trip to the McCloud and it never disappoints. It's so amazingly beautiful down there and it's such a contrast from the east side of the Sierra. These facts along with my quest to stick one of those McCloud pigs I know are lurking will keep me coming back for years.

Nice pics man. Sounds like a good time with buddies. Anytime you get into
    fish is a good thing.

So you were thirsty.....what was the adult beverage of choice?

EO

Beautiful area. But the wading and getting around is a bit more difficult than we are used to on the T for sure. Love seeing the pics. The pit will have to tussle with me again next year as well. Such fiesty fat fish. Thanks for the pics.

I just wish this site had an iphone app to make pic uploads easier...hint..hint.

Quote Originally Posted by EO View Post

So you were thirsty.....what was the adult beverage of choice?

EO
    It was pretty much a steady diet of IPAs.....Sierra Nevada Torpedos and 21st Amendment Brew Free Or Dies. We were also occasionally accosted by a bottle of Jack Daniels that snuck into my truck somehow.

Great report and pics Chet, looks like an awesome time out with some good pals.

I know, i couldnt seem to post pics with my ipad, it diddnt work, but i thought i was doing something wrong, i dont really get this thing.

I need to put the McCloud on my next trip list.

Jim

Late October / early November is the timing for the big Brown trout to come up from Shasta Lake to spawn in the Lower McCloud River.

Local guides like Fred Gordon, Bill Carnazzo and Ron Hart have this fisheries really dialed.

Google their "name" and "guide" to get their web sites.

Check with our buddy Bob Grace at the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir for info on this fine trophy river.

http://www.tedfay.com/guidenotes.html
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Chet, thanks for not posting how much I whined about the local crop of Poison Oak. So far, I haven't shown signs....
    Superman has Kryptonite............

Great report though, on a great fishery.
    I may need to lose some weight as well, so the fish look bigger next time (or catch bigger fish).
    I fished a bobber the first day and caught numerous fishes on the Oct. Caddis pupa, unweighted.
    Switched to a sz 8 Orange Stimi dry for the last half of the first day, and all day the second day.
    Gotta say, it was a magical hatch experience. Millions of Caddis doing their thing.

The fish do not like soggy dries. Bring dry shake and extra flies.....
    Water temp was 53 deg. I don't recommend swimming. (Bring a staff.)
    Didn't see any snakes (Hooray!) And, no bugs either!
    Best of all, I made it home before it snowed 14 inches.
    Looks like winter has come......
    Thanks again for the invite on the trip!!!

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.

"steady diet of IPAs.....Sierra Nevada Torpedos and 21st Amendment Brew Free Or Dies".

Mr. Chet TP,

You have exemplary taste in beer my friend. Had a SN Torpedo today whilst watching the Giants, and as I write this, I have a 21st Amendment Back in Black Ale cooling in the fridge.

Nice report!

Eric

Thanks EO.
    A twelve pack of Torpedos was going for $12.99 at the Safeway in Susanville. How could we not stock up on such a fine ale?

Bigfly - Glad you had a great time. Let's do it again soon!