Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leader advice

Well I might be taking it to the extreme, but since most of my leaders have between 7-9 sections, I see no need to throw it all away. The last third of leader including the tippet section is all I replace and I have never had a break in the heavier sections and only toss them if they have abrasion issues. The first two thirds are really just for turning over the fly and I admit I tie a heck of a good knot, so no issues with knots breaking.

Now if I was taking a trip to fish the flats for bones, I would go with all new leaders. I may be cheap but I'm not stupid.

Your in a small group now Don S but it is still very cool to tie your own.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene aka "Boca Grande" View Post
    Your in a small group now Don S but it is still very cool to tie your own.
    I hear ya Bill, I've been part of a small group for a long time and it's getting smaller by the day. The thing is while everybody seems to be looking for the next great thing, I take pleasure in going backwards. Probably why I roll my own cigs (bad I know), roast my own coffee beans and mess around with marlinspike seamanship knot working. Just spent the last couple of evenings putting eye splices in some new rope I got. Most people would ask why bother and I just say because I can.

Mike O Guest

I like Uni thread furled leaders. Supple as all get out, but still turn over well. I like the one I have that is a yellow-gold color, makes a good indi-line too