Thread: Gunnison, CO

Default Gunnison, CO

Hi All,

A super stressful day at work gave me the motivation to revisit and post my pics from a trip I took to Gunnison 3 weeks ago. I already feel better...

A good pal who grew up in Gunny, met a good gal and they got married - hence my awesome trip - win win. Flew into DEN on a Thursday and took the 4.5h drive (took me much longer due to frequent stops to fish and site see).

Drive - Amazing. Sunny until the mountains then rain for 15 minutes, then 2" of hail, car crashes and chaos for 15 minutes, [Stop for a 5 day fishing license] then sunny the rest of the way.

Mountains and Valleys

In some ways reminds me of CA.

The Aspen trees. Red on top, gold in the middle and green on bottom. The locals tell me this is rare.

Imagine coming home from a stressful day at work and pulling up to your driveway.

Downtown Gunnison

Gunnison

A few Rainbows, a large number of Browns, and was surprised by a Kokanee run.

BY FAR, the nicest group of fisherman I have ever run into as a whole. They were everywhere. I came on a run with a person in it who, after a bit of conversation, said "hey, there biting here, take my spot". Another guy I met came back to me and handed me some flies and said, "these work well here, take these".

I apologize, I'm not much of a pic taker and actually very rarely bring a camera fishing and more rarely take a pic of what I catch. Its just a secondary thing for me and I always kick myself for it when i get home. My buddy took some, Im waiting to get them.

I'll work on it, in the mean time I hope you guys can take a trip to CO sometime soon.
    Last edited by Slice; 10-18-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Spelin erers

Very nice report....

I was going to head to Gunnison in a few weeks as I cross the country, but I just talked to a few people who said the water is now pretty low and the fishing off. They recommended the Frying Pan. Anyone been?

Nice pics! Love that country.

To Left Field, my buddy just fished the pan last weekend and had a great day--40 fish between two rods, mostly browns, nothing too big. Apparently there was a really good baetis/bwo hatch going on. I think the Pan fishes pretty well through the fall and the winter so I would say go for it---should be less people up there this time of year, which is nice. Depending on the flows the roaring fork near aspen may be another option for you.

Default Nice Work

Love the Picts.

Thank you Frank and Awood.

Left and Jake,

It actually was lower than normal. The shops were complaining. There were certainly no 20+ days, more like 8 to 12 covering some ground, still good in my book.

I have to say I was very surprised by the lack of bugs seen, very little.

actually, i broke out a hopper with a dropper and my buddy and me laughed our asses off about that clip posted on this board, then i caught 6 in a row in row and thought about adding a dropper hopper to the rig. He may be on to something...