Thread: Yuba 10/14

Default Yuba 10/14

So I am no longer a Yuba virgin.

Parked by the bridge and fished the south side on down to the cliffs for the afternoon. Managed three good sized fish on egg pattern and copper johns. Hooked two monsters - one that broke me off and the other threw the hook. When I retrieved it the fish had destroyed the copper john. Cheap fly or tough fish; I'm going with the latter.

Had a salmon brush by me as he swan downstream.

At the end of the day I crossed to the north side and managed to convince a few fish to rise to dries. Couldn't set, but still fun.

All of a sudden a guy roars up in an ATV about 15 metres upstream from me. He turns it so that his rear wheels are in the water then guns it to send a plume of sand and rock 10 metres into the river just above where I was fishing. He then waves at me.

It was time to go.

Gotta love friendly folks out for a ride on their ATV.

Glad you got into some fish and popped that cherry!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I got the impression that his house was above me on the hill. Maybe he was just marking his property. Or creating a beach.

Thing is I was in the river and had waded down from the bridge to get there.

Oh well, at least my tires weren't slashed.

Are you talking about the guy who uses his 4-wheeler to rake his gravel yard. I think he rakes the gravel clean so that he can see if there are any footprints in it later.

On 10/7/12, I, too, waded down from the bridge and clambered over the rocks only to be hastily confronted by him. He wasn't exactly friendly, but it didn't approach outright hostility. I still felt like he was trying to intimidate me. He doesn't own the water and I'm not going to stop fishing the yuba. Just too bad he has to be a jerk about it.

He just gives the river some personality...glad to hear you got into some nice fish. Beautiful time of the year to fish it.

Pete
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Same guy I guess. He could have been building himself a beach. Does he own down to the waterline? There are a few clear paths along the shore.

Default California's lack of nice

Since moving here most every fishing trip has been "interesting" to say the least. Now that I am a "local" on the river by my house it isn't so bad but many of the rivers I have fished or friends have have ended with story like this