Thread: Mammoth Lakes 9/22

Default Mammoth Lakes 9/22

Spent two nights in Yosemite and climbed Half Dome. Even though the Merced was down there were small trout rising at every pool.

Drove over the Tioga Pass into ML and woke up to a foot of snow which meant we were lucky as hell to get out the day before.

Fished the Lower Owens and Hot Creek for a half day. HC was really down and a little bit of an exercise in frustration - lots of weed hookups. Upper Owens was really high, so went down to the Lower. First cast my wife hooks a 14" brown. 20 cast later I finally hook up - a 3" perfectly coloured brown that fit across my palm. Day got better and we pulled no end of browns and one rainbow out of the river.

But since the passes were closed and it looked like Tahoe was due for some snow, we went south to get around the mountains and back to SF. 10 hours through every type of terrain CA has to offer.

Sounds like a fun trip. I've been through that area and can relate to your statement regarding the diversity of California's geography.
    craig