Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Lake ?

I too have noticed that Gene.
    Cause the day after a full moon the fishing is horrible.
    We have learned that quite a few times.
    NOw we avoid it after a full moon.
    The fishing can be awesome on a cloudy day like most fisheries.
    It allows the fish to feel more comfortable in the low light.
    THus allowing us fisherman to sneak around them easier...enticing them to eat our fly.
    In the waves it also gives your flies(when indy fishin), a more natural movement.
    Therefore giving the cutties a better reason to eat your bugs.

Bill,

season after season the full moon has been horrible fishing for me....including the first two days prior and the two days following. After that it just gets better and better providing the skies are not clear and the wind calm. My most epic days there have been during periods of weather....the more severe the better. On those days I use very bright flies like the watermelon assassin that I tie. In my humble experience, the worse you can handle, the better the fishing says six years of log entries.
    "No matter how hard you try bro, you just can't turn a douche into a rose." (Anonymous)

I wasn't out there, but two BIG cutts been caught on the fly over the last week. Not sure how much longer they'll be in easy range from the shore before the cold really sets in. One of these has been identified as Pilot Peak strain (article here on the Rio site about a #17 caught last season).

#20+ on chironomid

#24+ on a bugger

That is unreal........thanks for this post.

What monsters........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Those are very nice fish, and the date on the picture of the last one was caught a week ago. Sometimes at this time of the year, when you have a nice sunny day and a light wind, the temp. will increase 5 or 6 degrees on the shallow water flats....these big fish are spooky and if condition are right they will come up on the flats to warm there bones and look for a snack.

Never been there but was wondering what weight rods to bring and is a pram out of the question because of wind and waves.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Prams are not out of the question but you have to be very very careful. I saved a man from drowning last year who capsized in 10' of water. Make sure your floatation device is on and in good working order. As far as rod weight goes an 8# for stripping and a 6# for nymphng/midging is what most of us use out there.

Both of these big fish were caught in the past week as was another over 17#. All by fly guys from shore.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Holy smokes! When the trout are that big they are not considered fish anymore but large animals. Big game hunters.......very cool.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

I notice too that the adipose fin is clipped on those fish. Was wondering if that was part of the tagging for the pilot strain. The white tip on the lower fins isn't common but I have seen that before on bigger males.

Gene, I think that happens too even in the deep winter months. Pull up to a spot and often pick up one regular fish right off that's sort of been hanging out near the drop. Then slow but occasional big solo predator hops up on the shelf cruising for snacks.

I found this web. site that talks about fishing this time of the year.....does anyone know the water temp. for pyramid lake?
    http://www.pyramidlakefisheries.org/.../fishtips.html