Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Lake ?

So if one was coming for the first time is a ladder for real? You actually carry a ladder into the water? Can you fish from shore? Never been but always heard great stories

Quote Originally Posted by AnadromousFly View Post
    So if one was coming for the first time is a ladder for real? You actually carry a ladder into the water? Can you fish from shore? Never been but always heard great stories
    For the fly angler I would say that the ladder is nearly a must unless it is April/May and you are nymphing from a southern beach with an immediate drop off.

The ladder serves a few purposes while fly fishing, when the water is incredibly cold it gets you up out of it, the ladder also gives you casting confidence and distance, and it allows you to see followers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EvanPyramid102812 003.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	5765
    "No matter how hard you try bro, you just can't turn a douche into a rose." (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by AnadromousFly View Post
    Completely unnecessary. While some might argue otherwise, I say leave the ladder at home. The casting distance gained is only necessary because the ladder line has a tendency to move the fish further out. You are also less likely to move if you have to keep lugging a ladder back and forth. Dress warmer if you are worried about the cold. Heck, at Pyramid, the water is often warmer than the air. YMMV.
    -JD

Question Ladders....

I'm not so sure the ladder line causes the fish to move out further. In my time up there, I've seen schools and individual fish in the shallows cruising between the ladders and shoreline. At times like that, nobody was catching anything, tho. I've fished while wading and while using a ladder and in cold/windy weather up there and caught fish most of those trips but I felt better/less tired after using the ladder.

It's true that using a ladder tends to anchor us to one spot and creates some line handling problems but the trade off is when fishing in high winds the waves don't splash up the front of your waders into your face, in addition to getting you up out of the intense cold. So, I guess it's really up to the individual whether they bring a ladder.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Nahhhh.... Absolutely no need for a ladder at Pyramid. I've caught zillions of fish at Pyramid over the years just by walking and wading the shoreline.

PLUS, if you are on a ladder you may be lumped in as being a "ladder guy" - and that is not a good appellation as far as I'm concerned. In my experience a lot of the "ladder guys" have been a rather surly bunch. So much so that they actually had to amend the rules regarding ladders a few years ago. In the past a bunch of the ladder guys would get together and put all their ladders out and take over an entire beach but most of the time they would not even be fishing. They would hang out in their RV's or chairs on the beach and they would chase off anyone who came remotely close. The rules now state that a ladder user has to be actively using it or reasonably close by to the ladder. You cant just stake out a territory with a ladder and claim everything around it as your own if you are not actually out on it.

If you've never fished Pyramid then try to go with someone that has some experience there. It is kinda different from most any other place you may have fished. The trick is to not "over-think" it. Don't get hung up on getting all technical with fancy shooting heads and special leaders and multiple fly rigs. A standard, reasonably fast sinking line or intermediate line works just fine there. Keep the leader at about 8-10 feet and very, very stout - no lighter than 4X. 3X is even better. The fish are not leader-shy in the slightest. Don't underestimate the catching power of a simple big, black or purple wooly bugger. Be ready for the take just as you are raising your rod and getting ready to cast out again. You will get a lot of takes at a distance of 5-15 feet in front of you just as the fly rises in the water column. Pyramid is really an unusual and special place. Have fun!!

BTW, you can get your fishing permit on-line. https://plpt.nagfa.net/online/

My few times there have been on a ladder and if people want to lump me in as a ladder guy I do not give a rats butt. I have seen huge cutthroats swim right next to my ladder so I do not think all of them are spooked by the ladders at all. Heck they are probably use to it. But if you want to stand waist to chest deep in the water go for it, but I will use a ladder.

loose shoes, exactly how many is a zillion any ways?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Ive fished from a ladder, tube, tufa rocks and the shore. Ive had the most fun off of a ladder because it is so unique. And how cool is it when a big cuttie swims all the way up to your ladder and your standing above him....and then he eats your fly and starts peeling line?

I always hear that with nice weather, no wind, no cloud and lots of sun, it is not usually good and that when it is storming, windy and dark, it is good.

Does that sound right to some of you Pyramid lake regulars?

What about the full moon period?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Question WX Conx....

Bill,.... In general, that idea (better when stormy) is probably true. Altho, if we only fish then, we tend to think that's correct.

I've caught most of my fish up there during low light periods whether stormy or not and the water temps have come down/mixed. I see a lot of fish in the shallows on sunny days but they don't always bite then. Now, having said that, I recall spending a sunny, breezy afternoon in early March up there and caught 10 fish in about one hour. Maybe the "rules" for Cutthroat change when they're getting ready to spawn....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The wave action is the key to good fishing, the wave's stir's up the bottom and the food, but if the wave's are to big the shallow water will get mudddy and the cutt's won't see your fly.
    Pyramid lake has very clear water and on a full moon the cutt's will feed all night.