Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truckee, CA.

Hey Morgan, I stopped by"the office" today, things were flowing smoothly....
    Only had an hour, still playing catch-up from the snow we had.
    Everything wasn't quite winterized......
    Found a riser though and he ate a sz 20 BWO dry. Ahhhhhh....

10/27/12
    The snow is melting fast. It was T-shirt weather again today! (And not just me either.)
    Water was 52 deg and rising.
    Mostly with the snow, it has been Midges, and BWOs, along with a few tan Caddis.
    Blue bird days have brought back Hoppers, both little yellow, and big blues.
    A friend said he saw some on the stroll to the water. Caught a nice Bow on one.
    Stay awake out there....
    I just saw a sz 14 winged ant......
    Staying current on a river is amazing.

10/28/12
    Speaking of which.....
    Saw some Oct. Caddis today.........

I should say....
    I live and die by great reports from friends/guide friends/past clients/some forum members, anonymous fish ninjas I meet out there......Thanks.
    Covering the T, all the tribs, and still water too, can be a lot for a guy....

Some weather coming, so we'll see. Bring a coat....always.....
    Today was blue and warm, even last night late it was warm.
    I give it, two more days to chilly.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-30-2012 at 11:37 AM.

In Squaw tonight and have about three hours tomorrow morning 10-1 before I head east. Where to fish? Late today I tried the last turnoff before the 194 exit (down large hill - river does a large U to the left of 80), but no luck.

Fished stone and baetis. Probably too deep as I lost a few to the rocks.

Any and all advice appreciated. Truckee was the first place I tried ff last year and I would like to net one fish before I move on.

Thanks.

Left, It's a little low near squaw. Try further down below town again.
    I would fish near where it's frothy, and flows into a slower section. Slow water less weight. Fast water more weight. Small bobber.......
    BWO nymph, (or a EC style) sz20. Juju Baetis sz 20, Unweighted Oct, Caddis nymph sz 8-10.
    A few hoppers around still.
    And the midges............
    Good luck....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-29-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks, Jim. PM sent.

I went out this weekend during the afternoon (no wind!) and had a great time. The water is pretty low and clear down here by Reno, and I've absolutely got to say watch carefully before you approach the bank. It's amazing how the river changes when the fish are unmolested. In one of my favorite spots, there were 4-5 good bows in plain sight jockeying or stationed in only 2-3' of water well away from the slot plus a pair of browns chasing tail. Too scared to throw an indicator in, I went for my stealth rig (a sort of general dry like an adams klinkhammer with a dull nickel bh baetis nymph on 4' dropper). Really cool to watch them slide off their lie as the nymph approached (usually without committing), but I managed 2 there. Noticed a flash in some faster water which took on the first pass and came away with my best Truckee fish of the year maybe. As the light dimmed and spotting got tough, I switched to down fishing and two more good fish that ate the dry!

Find a quiet spot on a soft day, put on your ninja suit, and keep your eyes open

Well, thanks for the input earlier, but the city I work for is bankrupt which in turned bankrupted me too. So there will be no hiring of guides unfortunately. Hell, I'm lucky I'm even getting up there for a weekend! So I'm just going to have to wing it. At least I'll get some fishing in.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Im headed up to Reno Thanksgiving weekend and I'm going to do some fishing on the Truckee. I never have fished the Nevada side of the river, is it anything like the Cali side? Can anyone give me some good general areas to start at and possibly what type of bugs? I don't need secret spots or the golden fly, just some info to get myself started. Thanks for any tips.

I'll send you a PM this evening. Kinda 3 areas, the lower I-80 canyon / verdi / mogul, the urban bit through Reno/Sparks (paved river trail accessible at the many parks), and the lower river below Sparks to Fernley.

Let you know....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 12-21-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF