Thread: Fall River...November?

Default Fall River...November?

I have fished the Fall several times and it has become a place I simply need to return to, again and again....

This time, due to work and "other-things-that-get-in-the-way-of-fishing", I need to return in early November. I have not fished the Fall later than mid September and would like to know what flies you folks would recommend.

How about other factors as far as changes from spring/summer? (It was a cold and rainy day there in June...but still one of the best days I have had there!) I assume it is colder of course and the likelihood of rain is greater than June. What else?

As always, Thanks!

This year it should be good.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Fall River Flies

Just got back from 3 day trip on Fall River. Friday was great with BWO action on top water (dries). Best flies were Quigley BWO Loop Wing or Harrops BWO size 18 or so.

SAT and Sunday the hatch came off about 10am and most fish were feeding sub-surface or just below the film. Many fish rising but very few taking dries on top. So I used 6-7x tippet (12' leader) and fished on the swing and did slight strip. It was deadly. Nymph Flies were small (18-24) Baetis type - Mercer Micro May, PT, Hogan S&M - skinny, light green, brown colors both worked well. Many dinks with some big fish too. I would recommend 6x for the bigger fish. Also, had some grabs on streamers in deeper holes. Good Luck! ~magic

Default Fall

Fished the Fall last wed -sat... A lot of large fish from 15 -19+ the length what was not surprising, it was the weight of these fish..... and girth... very healthy compared to size and girth last yr..
    Took them on similar flies Magic mentioned. We fish mostly long line, but took fish on top as well as leaching..
    Weather will be good for rest of week, who knows what the weather will be in two weeks. I know on fri we had a cold overcast day. and expected the baeitis to come which never really happened in earnest. The wind probably hurt the hatch

Tight lines
    Last edited by Hibbygibi; 10-20-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Pictures