Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any hat creek area tips or suggestions?

Well I had a blast fishing new water! Some tough fishing for sure. Even harder wading. I had a few stumbles as well as a few extrme squats. Not once did I fallin tho. Beautiful scenery! Not a bad first outing on the pit. 4 to the hand and 4 lost and a few misses. Some friendly locals as well. Thanks for the tips guys!

Nice Gangster! Glad you had fun and didn't get dunked!!!!

Love that place. (and hate it sometimes).

EO

Default Any Hat Creek Tips Camping?

If fishing either Hat or the Pit, Can anyone suggest a local campground? Prefer one with friendly fly fishers with current fishing advice, beer, shots, tokes, to share.

Thanks

The area is pretty quiet for the most part. Not as quiet as i would have liked tho. The pit was much quieter than hat creek. I fished hat creek at super easy access points along the road on the way back to my girls folks house in shingletown. I had zero luck on hat. I didnt really give it much of a shot tho and didnt fish any areas i really liked. I would check out Cassel near baum lake if i was campn for hat. A few of the campsites are closed now so you cant just pick and choose. I had some beautiful weather and a great time fishing new water.

mmrevolver,
    What Gangster said. Cassel is where most of the fly fishers camp. Local flyfishing clubs often meet there as well. I like to camp up at the forest service campgrounds as I like to play in the smaller stream section and harass the Brookies, but they close most of them when it gets colder. Cave is usually open till the end of October. Last year at this time it was 22 degrees in the am when I woke up.

I am planning on going next Sunday-Tuesday depending on weather.

Bill put a post in the Campgrounds section on Burney area camping and lodging for more info.
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by mmrevolver View Post
    If fishing either Hat or the Pit, Can anyone suggest a local campground? Prefer one with friendly fly fishers with current fishing advice, beer, shots, tokes, to share.

Thanks

I usually camp at Burney Creek State Park which is half way between the Pit and Hat Creek. Burney creek is fun to fish too.

Question for all you Hat Creek veterans.....

Below 299 I never have much luck, granted I hear near the weir is good but never made it down that far. I always see the upper part of the Pit just over a hill. Has anybody fished here ? It looks promising but I have never heard anything about it.

Thanks. Craig
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Default Pit 2

Its a good fishery earlier in the year until June and better up toward Pit 2 powerhouse. Water warms up too much later in the year. Tough access, but you can kayak or pontoon boat from campground just downstream of Pit 2outflow near Clearwater Lodge to Hwy 299 and find some excellent water to fish.