Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any hat creek area tips or suggestions?

I fished #3, but you can also fish any of the other pit sections, like 4 or 5. indicator fishing, black ap, rubber legs, copper john, zebra midge...if you haven't fished it, make sure you read up on it and prepare..it's pretty gnarly. If you need more details send me a pm.

Mike O Guest

Pit suggestion...take a wading staff and soccer shin guards...no joke.

Lower, lower hat has always done well for me. PM and I will send directions if you havr never been there....its below 299 on a map

I fished Hat Creek #2 riffle and Pit 3 on back to back days this summer and hands down the Pit was a much better day. The Hat Creek 2 riffle is very short indeed and gets pounded hard every day. I was there on a Tuesday and there were 5 guys fishing it all day long. The fish have seen everything abnd while there are lots of them in that little slot, they know how not to get caught. Its also pretty boring pounding the same 30 yards of water all day long.

The Pit you'll probably have to yourself if you find the right spot. Lots of different water to try and the fish pull like tractors.

The Pit is a pretty easy place to catch lots of fish. Just nymph pocket water with a fair amount of weight...once you're in position.

Getting to the pockets is tougher than most any river I have fished. The wading is TOUGH. Bowling ball sized rocks covered in slime. Studded felts and a wading staff for sure. A buddy isn't a bad idea either. I would have liked to have had shin guards a few times too.

Pit 3 reach below Lake Britton has good access, either where the road meets the river or with a short (but steep) hike.

Default Hat and Pit

While I agree with most of the things written here about the riffle I have come to love and appreciate the Carbon Flats area of Hat. It has never seemed crowded to me and the fishing is fun, technical, fun, adventurous, fun, difficult..etc and there are some very nice fish there too!
    Then go to the Pit! All of the above and slippery too! (I do also love fishing the Pit)

Yep, fish the Pit. Can't emphasize enough (what others said) the need for
    a staff and STUDDED boots. Move slow. Repeat, move slow. Yep, shin
    guards. I also use baseball (gel) sliding sleeves over my knees. If I had
    taken this advice years ago, I'd have a LOT less scars.

I've lost count on the number of dunkings in that river. That said, the fishing
    is fabulous and you'll most likely have it to yourself.

It's one of those places that rewards you, but you have to work HELLA hard
    with those snot covered, bowling ball sized rocks. Fish in every pocket.
    Just high stick size 14/16 PTs, size 12 FB PTs (to imitate Iso's), size 14/16
    birds nest, golden stones are always solid. No indo needed as it's one of
    those few places where you can wade right up to almost any hole. The
    dark green colored water is great protection from clumsy wading.

I actually started fishing midges there for the first time this past March.
    Size 18 anything will most likely hook you up. Additionally, it's almost not
    necessary to fish two flies at the Pit. You'll lose multiple rigs anyway. Easier
    to just fish one fly and change often.

Good luck and report back man. I was supposed to be up there today for the w/e
    but had to put it off.

EO

Default fish the pit

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said about Hat (which I have admittedly only fished once), and the Pit which I have spent a good portion of this years fishing time on (and plan to spend more in the coming years). Pit 3 has some of the easiest access, and one or two of the "friendliest" locations for movement (in and out of water), but I always end up spending a bit more time on Pit 4 for some reason. Pit 5 is often a bit bigger water, and that much tougher on wading, as well as landing bigger fish... but I still love fishing it too. I also tend to agree with EO about trying to go without on the indicator, I actually did a fair bit better there without one and I had never really done any high stick nymphing before. The Pit is one of those places where you can really work some sections better without (lots of short, deep, irregular slots and pockets to explore).

One slight correction/difference I have is with the part about it being an "easy" river to catch a lot of trout on. In my experience, it can be at times, but it is often times hard to extremely hard to actually land the bigger fish.
    Size is different here too, as landing a 14-16 inch trout on the Pit is often like landing a 16-20 inch trout on most other rivers I've fished (even the Truckee). There are a few reasons for this, one of them is simply how FAT most of the fish there are (classic footballs), and another is the fact that in many places (most?) you will NOT be able to chase a fish that gets into heavy current and runs. And wouldn't you know it, they fight like crazy to do just that...

All of that actually just makes me enjoy catching fish on the Pit that much more, but it would not be my first choice for huge numbers of fish to hand. Hookups yes, netted fish... sometimes yes, sometimes no. Especially any biggies, I count myself lucky to get to play with them for more than a few quick seconds and try not to cry too hard when they head off down the rapids.

As far as Hat creek is concerned, I think that anyone there should pay a visit to the Powerhouse riffle... but if it were me, I'd spend my time downstream ... plenty of water to fish, plenty of fish of all sizes, etc. They just aren't dumb. Great corner of the state for fly fishing, so much great water up there and so little time to fish it all...
    JB

Thanks for the replies guys! EO and JasonB those are some solid reports that really got me jonesing. I love fishing a birds nest...and a pt does me well too. Kinda like the T. I am pretty new...a yearling, at this fly fishing thing. Ive said for years my skate shoes will do for wading boots. Well in the last few months i have finally figured i need real fishing boots. So tommorow i will really put my wading skills to the test. YEs...in skate shoes. Its all i got. I will let you guys know how many times i dunk myself. HOpefully not too many. Im stoked to try a new river. I'll get back and let you guys know how I do by sat or sunday. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post

but it would not be my first choice for huge numbers of fish to hand. Hookups yes, netted fish... sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    I'll amend my post to agree with that. There are lots of fish, and if you can get your fly in front of them they are opportunistic in this environment. That said, you will only chase them across or downstream at your own peril.

You owe it to yourself to fish the Pit at least once...

Originally posted by gangster:
    "Ive said for years my skate shoes will do for wading boots."
    Nice man. Skates shoes earn you big soul points.