Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott 1287-3 ARC line recommendations?

Default Scott 1287-3 ARC line recommendations?

Hey guys, I'm back in Sac and ready to get back into the spey groove. If you have the Scott 1287-3 ARC rod or know of some great line recommendations I would love to hear them. I already have a Rio AFS Outbound spey which I like for the factory 15' tips and poly leaders. I can chuck 15' of T-8 on it as well, although I am looking to cast larger intruder style flies and the AFS doesn't cut it. I am about to jump into Skagit lines for casting the big flies but I do not have much experience with Skagit. Do any of you guys have any good recommendations or suggestions for me to look into and consider?

I'm excited to be doing this again:

Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Great rod! This is my favorite rod for winter fishing. I use a Sksgit Short 625 with Mow tips. This set up is effortless and will chuck any thing you want to fling out there.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Like Bruce - my favorite winter rod and I prefer the 575 short for big stuff but it will do ok with the 525 for lighter work and the 625 is pretty awesome as well.

If I could only have one rod - this wold be the one hands down!!

Adam - maybe we can get together one of these days!
    Rick

Rick, that would be great to go fishing again! Any ideas?

Adam Grace

Adam,

I'm not a gear junkie. When I find a piece of equipment I like, I'm done shopping. One of the main reasons I own the 1287 and not much more is it's versatility and fishability.

I do own a couple rods, but not sure why. I cast them for fun but I fish the 1287 from the American with a RIO Windcutter 6-7-8 to the Hoh with a Airflow Skagit Compact 600.

Since your back in the area now, feel free to borrow the lines and try them anytime. I also have a Beulah Tonic line that casts very nice as well.

Ron

BTW, I have fished that tremendously fishy spot many times and have NEVER hooked a fish there. Congrats on showing me it's the fisherman!
    Last edited by WinterrunRon; 10-10-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added PS
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Ron, were you talking about me catching a fish at that spot of the Trinity?

I do really love my 1287-3, it's so versatile. I've caught trout on that rod and enjoyed the fight, without missing too much "feel" pr bend in the rod. I've also caught some decent sized Ca steelhead and felt like I still could have handled a bigger fish. It is a smooth casting rods and it isn't too long and difficult to cast on smaller sections of rivers.

I am very happy with my Scott ARC and I doubt that I will ever be intentionally separated from that spey rod.

Adam Grace

Adam, I agree. It's a very unique rod. Fights a fish like fiberglass (very soft and forgiving so small fish are a blast) yet I can feel everything the fly comes in contact with and handles big fish with no problem. I don't understand how these seemingly incompatible qualities come together in this rod, I just know they do.

Yes, that spot on the Trinity, why do you ask... did you not catch it there?
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Wow, those are some heavy grain recommendations, and short switch lines too. Adam, you might try Airflo Compact Skagit 540 for winter, SA Skagit Extreme 520 for summer, and the SA Extreme Intermediate sink 520 for deeper winter presentations. I use heavy MOW or T14 under 13ft. Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Ron, yes, I was on the Trinity. That drop off on river-left was the spot that night! The Isonychias where very active and the steelies liked both my silver hilton, and my Isonychia sized nymphs that evening.

Here's a picture from that evening:

Here's one of the duns:

Adam Grace

I've had my 1287 Arc for about 4 years now and love the rod. For heaver tips and bigger flies I use a airflo compact skagit 570. I've also used the compact skagit 540 but prefer the 570. I also use a airflo compact scandi 510 for floating and intermidate lines. The person (a guide not to be named) I bought the rod and reel from gave me a rio 550 skagit line with the outfit. Above 600 grains seems to heavy to me, but to each is his own.

Scott