Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rubberized wading sole boots?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    , I assume most people cover more distance walking on land than actually wading in the course of a day's fishing. I know I do, anyways. A slip in the water might result in water over the top of the waders, but a fall on the land will usually hurt much more. .
    This is nonsense. When you're on land, and can see what you're walking on, your risk is much reduced. There have been a number of places I hiked into in Keen Sandals and put on my felt soles when I wanted to fish. No doubt that rubber soles are better for hiking boots, but when you get in the water, felts are superior.

You can argue that rubber is better with respect to the spread of organisms, there is now way you can believe rubber is a better wading boot.

I will continue to wear felt in all the states that have not bought into the hype.

my $0.02

Pretty good topic, I have three different boots currently. Felt, felt/studded and rubber. They all have their place. I assess the river that I will be fishing and wear whatever one fits the bill. Non-studded felt is usually when I am drifting so I don't mess up my buddies boat. Rubber is for our annual Alaska trips as they don't allow felt up there anymore. Some of our coastal rivers are gravely and you don't really need felt so the rubber soles work good on them. But most rivers are cobbly and bouldery and felt/studded are used most of the times. Their truly isn't any substitute for felt/studded when the river is real snotty. So, my observation is one pair of boots just isn't enough if you do all kinds of fishing. So head down to Kiene's and buy yourself another pair of boots so you can match the sole to the condition.

I bought the new Korkers and purchased studded felt soles after busting my rear with rubber soles on the Crooked River in Oregon. Easy to change soles. Being old and a LOT less stable than I was in my 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, etc, I appreciate the ability to use the rubber soles walking to and from the river, or when duck hunting, coastal steelhead fishing, etc, but also able to change to a safer (for me) sole stream side. This saves having to buy two or more pairs of boots.
    Last edited by Charlie S; 10-15-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Change and addition in content

For me, straight up vibram soles are close to useless. Studded vibrams are pretty decent though, especially when coupled with a staff for the rough stuff. I have an old pair of plain felts without studs that I use for drift trips and the studded rubber for walk in fishing. That combo has been serving me well.

Default Try SIMMS AlumiBite Studs

On Rubber soles...Try the SIMMS AlumiBite Cleats...they really grip rocks and nearly anything else. Also, put a few of the Simms HardBite cleats with them. Good combo as the work together. You can't go wrong.

I love to see everyones post about this boot topic!

I am still a big fan of studded felt. They have almost always been wonderful for me, even on polished granite. My Simms studded felt Guide Boots have been great boots for me. The studs help slow down wearing down the felt. The carbide tipped studs give me great stability. I think that it is sad to not see any studded felt boots out on the market from the major manufacturers.

I understand that the rubber is better to reduce the contamination/transportation of invasive species yet I keep on hearing many negatives about these rubber soles. There are many cool new high tech studs out there now but based on negative comments I don't feel very comfortable about them. The reviews are mixed but I'd rather stick to what I already know works for me..... I guess that I'm getting older and more set in my ways, lol.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    On Rubber soles...Try the SIMMS AlumiBite Cleats...they really grip rocks and nearly anything else. Also, put a few of the Simms HardBite cleats with them. Good combo as the work together. You can't go wrong.

What are better, the alumibite's or hardbite's? Do they make it unsafe to rockhop on dry rocks? Thinking of puting on some type of cleat, just not sure would be better on dry land. I would think the alumibite's would be a little better in the water.