Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DFG renamed

Default DFG renamed

Dept of Fish and Wildlife, interesting move. Found the news on a ski blog as apparently they're trying to appeal to a broader spectrum of outdoorsman and conservation minded folks. Makes sense as they need all the support they can get.
    http://flyfishing.about.com/b/2012/1...ame-change.htm

Post Rename....

I saw an article on this in a recent issue of California Fly Fisher I believe. I had mixed emotions about this as frequently a name change can reflect changes in policy direction, mission, etc. I guess time will tell....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The original name seems to have worked just fine all these years. My opinion a waste of money that could have been spent on real issues!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Mike O Guest

change names to focus more attention away from "Game", and more towards "Wildlife"....is this where hunting takes it in the shorts, in the name of "conservation"?

And how much money is this name change gonna cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    change names to focus more attention away from "Game", and more towards "Wildlife"....is this where hunting takes it in the shorts, in the name of "conservation"?

And how much money is this name change gonna cost?

How much...... Just think of everything that has DFG or Department of Fish and Game writen on it has to be reprinted. What makes me laugh even more is hat the Sacramento county court has stopped sending out ticket notices to save money. Now you see the state changing DFG to DFW and with little cost. Well someone will have to give up on saving state budgets because all the savings go to another idea that makes no difference.

If by know anyone the fishes or hunts in the state does not know what DFG does or is then you need to go back to school!
    Last edited by winxp_man; 10-07-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

With HSUS taking over, all of our hunting and fishing rights will soon be a thing of the past.

^This is very true. Most people tend to think of the Humane Society as an animal welfare org, but in fact they are an animal rights org along the lines of PETA.

Despite their 100M budget they operate no shelters and give less than 1% of their money to shelters.

humanewatch.org has the straight skinny on the HSUS.

Unfortunately, the DFG has been confused with a conservation agency that should exist under a separately funded State Agency.

DFG is supposed to be a "hooks and bullets" agency that manages the state's fish and game.... partially funded by the collection of fishing and hunting licenses.

Studies of the Brown Pelican, et. al. which were funded by state fishing licenses should be conducted by a state agency created for the conservation of wildlife, habitat, etc.

Personally, I hate to see "game" replaced by "wildlife". DFG wardens should be on par with other state and local law enforcement agencies and CA should have a separate F&G court with prosecutors ready to jail poachers, etc.

IMO, the change to "wildlife" is a step in the wrong direction, but is explanatory due to the changing political landscape in our most populated metropolitan areas.

The Department is being Restructured with the following being given New Management roles:

Sierra Club

Humane Society

Nature Conservancy

Center for Biological Diversity.....

It is easy to have a knee jerk reaction one way or another. Keep in mind, this directional shift was initiated in the 1990 Strategic Plan, and after 5 years of public and departmental input ratified by Boyd Gibbons in 1995. It has taken the Department only 17 years to implement the name change. I don't see any indication there is going to be a violent shift in priorities, we've been undergoing that shift for nearly two decades. The revised name only reflects the mission statement that was issued many years ago.

"The mission of the Department of Fish and Game is to manage California's diverse fish, wildlife, and plant resources, and the habitats upon which they depend, for their ecological values and for their use and enjoyment by the public"