Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Question Heavy Lines, etc....

I've been following of the discussions on development of the lines, leaders and flies involved on Fliflicker and Blanton's BBs. A lot of questions were generated that remained unanswered for quite a period of time as the developers didn't have the answers, yet. Now they've updated the info on their Facebook Page. Interesting stuff.

For example, the recipe for a very heavy, hybrid line was recently released. The length of the heads they developed ranged from 30' to 45' with the optimal length around 35'. Grain weights ranged from 800 to 950.

A line weighing in at approximately 850 grains, requires:

1) RIO custom cut, T-14 integrated shooting head. According to the developers, this line has an intermediate running line with a diameter that's easily held when wet. In order to meet the optimal head length, the T-14 must be cut to a length around 7' or 8'.

2) Scientific Anglers, Deeepwater Express Shooting Head, 30' @ 750 grains. (this head is not altered)

The developers prefer to join these lines using a splice made from Gudebrod, 50# braided leader material to avoid any hinging at the point where the lines join. This provides a line of 37', at the 850 grain level. The developers say they cast this line on single handed, 10 weight rods.

I'm fairly sure that I could cast such a rig but wonder why I would want to. It's heavy and casting with a 10 weight rod/reel combo would really tire me out over the course of a day. The creators say that they need these rigs to get down, quickly to larger Calico Bass living around "boiler rocks" and strong tidal currents around breakwalls, etc., and photos of the fish they've caught would seem to bear out their claims. Hard to argue with the result.

Even with all of that, I'm wondering if the expense involved in making/using such a hybrid line is justified when compared to that of using a T-14 head and mono or other type running line???

At any rate, this topic didn't generate much interest on this BB even tho it would seem that there's plenty of potential applications for use of super heavy fly lines around here (fresh/salt water). One example is fishing for Salmon on deep/strong currents as in the Sacramento River around Red Bluff. Making hybrid lines has been the topic of many articles and books over the years.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown