Thread: Smallmouth on the North Fork American River

Default Smallmouth on the North Fork American River

Hi everyone. I plan doing doing a two night backpacking trip in two weeks to the North Fork of the American River. I plan on taking the Mumford Bar Trail to the river and then head upriver for some miles. I have caught smallmouth on the river near Mineral Bar and Lake Clementine.

Are smallmouths present in this area or is trout only?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will

Default Smallies

Hey Will,
    I floated from Weimar down to Lake Clemantine and we caught lots of smallies, I usually keep it simple, buggers & crawdad imitations. Great fighting fish and some beautiful places along the river. It is very, very rugged in some spots, and keep an eye out for rattlers & pot growers! If you go, post a report. Lake Clemantine is a jewel after the boating season too! It has some really big carp that can be found on the upper section along with smallies.

Rockman
    ( Will )

Will, Mumford Bar upstream is all trout. The smallies are further downstream. On the plus side that stretch has some damn fine trout in it.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Thanks Will and Ed. Any idea how much poison oak along the trails?

Default Poison Oak

I'm sure there is plenty!

Plenty of 'oak" along the trail, but easy to stay away from. Go up stream to the next trail that comes down to the river. Beacroft, I think? It's around 3 miles up from Mumford. You'll cross a very nice bridge along the way. Can't have the horse's working too hard. (it's a bone of contention with me) Take it (the Beacoft trail) down to the river to the remnants of the (Beacroft) cabin. Check out the pieces of the stove and the hit-n-miss engine. Fish the box canyon there and the hole. Then fish down stream, and you can get out where there was a cabin that's now been torn down. About 2 miles, probably a little less. The holes along the way are epic.

It makes for a fantastic day, and you'll be worn out, trust me.

*edit* At the Mumford cabin, get water from the small stream nearby, it's probably some of the best tasting water I've ever had.
    Last edited by wineslob; 10-11-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.