Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why is Sage still the number one rod maker?

I'm kinda cheap and never pay full freight for anything, particularly "brand" items. They are usually steeply discounted once the brand comes out with something better. I picked up a Sage One five weight a couple or three years ago for a little over half retail what it had been a few months before sage launched their new X series, I think I paid $450 or thereabouts new. Its a great rod and my go to stick when I'm trout fishing in CA which is 99% of my fishing. I've been fishing a lot with my daughter lately, shes really starting to enjoy it and she is using the first graphite rod I ever bought, a TFO NXT Lefty Kreh rod and reel combo for $125. When she gets tangled up I give her my rod and go to work, but I always fish the old rod for a bit, and to be honest I cant tell much of a difference. It casts great....certainly well enough that a hack like me cant tell much of a difference.

The one rod I love the most is my Winston GVX 3 wt that I got for free on Ebay! (long story) but that thing just feels like an extension of my arm and when I'm fishing small creeks it just puts the fly where I want it to go every single time.

I bought my daughter an Echo Glass 4wt a couple of years ago and she hates it, but I pull it out sometimes because its so much fun and I think fishing glass helps your timing. You need to focus more.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.

That is some good advice......

When they change models the discontinued series are on the internet at great price.

This is how you can buy a new high end rod at 50% off.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sage rods on eBay can go for even less than half if you know what your looking for but ever since eBay is taxing purchases the deals aren’t as good as before.

When the Sage discontinued rods go on sale the popular models go fast.

This is the time to buy anything from an 11 weight up at a great price too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Several years ago I discovered old glass and modern glass, and while like Tony B I love my Fenwick FF807, my modern Epic glass rods are by far my all time favorite, especially up to 6 wt. Above that, they can get a little heavy and on the Delta and windy lakes it's nice to have a little more backbone at times. Still, I've sold most of my graphite just because they weren't fun. Only kept the medium and medium fast action rods.

Not long ago I cast a Sage X, and if there's a perfect rod, that may be it. Backbone, reserve power, light, accurate and flexes much deeper than a One or most of the others super fast rods. It's maybe even nicer than my beloved Z-Axis, and a VERY similar feel. Haven't fished one, but it's just as fun to cast as any of my fast glass, plus I get 15-20' more range on the larger sizes.

As an aside, in 1996 I bought my one of my first "good" reels from Bill, a Ross-Gunnison G-2. I rarely use it, and the drag wasn't quite right, so I sent it to Ross with $30 and it's going to be back in my hands tomorrow. That was my only reel besides the lighter English reels for several years. Just sold the spare spools and will probably sell the reel too as I prefer large arbors now, but it served me well over the past 24 years.

I have an FF805 which is an 8' #5 line and was pretty popular in it's day.

I also have an old FF85 which is a 8'6" #7 weight.

Both in 2 piece and I have old Pflueger Medalists on them.

1494 on the 5 and a 1495 on the 7.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I have the FF605 which is my favorite glass rod. I have a Pfluegger Medalists 1492 loaded with a RIO Gold 5wt. I also have a Hardy Featherweight that I sometimes use on the rod. My next favorite rod is the FF805 also with a Plfuegger 1495.
    My favorite graphite rod is the new TFO Axiom II X 9' 8wt for bone fishing. I have the 5 and 6 wt for bass and carp fishing.
    So many good rods on the marker both graphite and fiberglass. But I think in todays fiberglass rods they can't compare the new rods with the on Fenwick Feralite glass rods, just my opinion.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Quote Originally Posted by jcgrey87 View Post
    I feel like the way they do those rods is fantastic. The quality is amazing the price might be higher then most but still the fact that they can withstand practically anything is amazing. I am actually really impressed with the quality of these things. I have a large collection of them 9I think around a dozen). I actually noticed that there are a lot of things that repeat in my life that are connected with the number 12. I decided to find out more about that number and I googled it. I came across this cool article: angel number 1212 I found a lot of useful info there. I hope you guys will like it too.
    Well, this is a fishing and not numerology forum