Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Sage still the number one rod maker?

Default Why is Sage still the number one rod maker?

There are several other good fly rod makers but there is only one Sage Rod Company!

The Sage 'ONE' is the rod that has the best casting performance for all situations:

http://vimeo.com/26791493

The Sage 'Circa' fly rod answers the need for a delecate casting series:

http://vimeo.com/44832752

PS: If you did not know the basis of the Sage rod company it started over 50 years ago (1963) with the Fenwick Rod Company, which was also the number one rod maker of it's time. I sold and fished Fenwick rods and now Sage rods since 1965.

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.c...182977/Fenwick

http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/our-story/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Big sage fan here as well.

I can honestly say though, I think I have a certain secret "lust" for winstons?

Is that healthy? Probably not.

Although you guys carry the line, I just don't ever see too many winnies in stock there at the shop. I just fished a B3X a couple months ago in 9' 5wt and 8'6" 4wt and they were mighty fine sticks....

Default No love for Hardy?

I've got 4 sage rds, 2 that I like, 2 that are so-so.

3wt vantage in 7 foot - sweet!
    Same thing in 8.5 foot - not so sweet, too long, not enough backbone.
    5wt Z-axis - awful if you line it 5wt, nice lined in 6wt though it just doesnt feel right until you have at least 25 feet out. Really nice tight loops once you have enough line out to load up the rod but it is a slapper, hard to do a delicate presentation.
    5wt RPL - oldy but still a pretty nice rod.

I've also got the Hardy Zenith in 9' 5wt. That's an amazing rod, plenty of power but they put a soft tip on it - you can feel in your hand when the rod is loaded, I never have to look back with that rod.

People who have fished the ONE and the Hardy seem to lean towards the Hardy. Nothing wrong with the Sage, it just seems like the Hardy is a little nicer. Might be a style thing, anyone fished them both?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Peters View Post
    I can honestly say though, I think I have a certain secret "lust" for winstons?
    My lust is a little less secret. Just got back from a week in Montana and here was my quiver...

For some reason the Winston's don't get much love here on the west coast.

-Ben

I just got a as new 6wt 9ft IM6. I have been looking for this rod for a long time.. I love Winston's action on this rd. Nice and slow which suits my casting style.
    I spoke with Winston about this particular blank and was told that it was rolled off of Loomis's mandrel, I guess they did not have the characteristic's they were looking for during R&D.. later number run's were rolled off of their design's
    Looking forward to fishing the Fall with this in two weeks. Will be interesting since a 6 wt is usually too heavy for this water.

Default Why Sage?

All I can say is Sage makes me look good.
    Very smooth products. I'd own more if they
    didn't cost as much.

Have to admit I still like my mid flex Orvis 4Wt
    for small waters and have since purchased a
    economy line rod to pound streamers against
    the bank thus protecting the Sage from 100%
    abuse. Okay, I'm a work in progress.

Winston is the other good brand......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Nobody has mentioned the Scott G.

Bill great point about Sage and Fenwick I forgot about that. I bought my first 590-2 Light Line from you (Alan) in 89 after fishing a 15 y/o old Eagle claw 7 1/2 6/7 wt fiberglass, yep the yellow one. Then a 379-4 and a 379-3 LL's then some Winston's Several Scotts and a T&T (Thanks for showing me graphite ?)
    I still have the 3 wt LL's and I keep going back to Sage rods. Keith Kaneko made comment about the Sage LL that has stuck with me, especially when comparing other rods, Sage or other brand. Sage somehow gave the Light Line the "soul of a flyfisherman."
    I am going to the shop in the next few days to cast the Circa (and to pester Andy) and I hope Sage was able hit another home run. I know I've missed some other great rods that should be mentioned but were on the Sage band wagon.
    I either have poison oak or, I need a new rod. And as I explain and repeat to friends, I am not addicted to buying fly rods, I can quit anytime..... I don't want to!
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Sage is number one because the make the best fly rods ....everyone compares them selves to sage. Sage is the best ... I tried others I am back to sage why bother with competitors ?