Thread: Hawkins Bar to Salyer float?

Default Hawkins Bar to Salyer float?

I'm curious if anyone has any experience floating this stretch of the Trinity. Mostly interested in the degree of difficulty in floating this water. Thanks

Streamtime map shows nothing hairy. One section they say to scout first-a boulder run. What are you floating in?
    I say hit it! Portage as necessary.
    Good luck-wish I was there.
    Slim

I fished in that stretch many times last year when I was living in Eureka and did really good early in the season (like now). The reason I fish down there are many, but mostly because there's no people. I've never drifted it, but I've fished/seen most of it. I don't recall anything you couldn't drift safely. Especially at the low flows in the river now.

There is some really good water below the first Hwy 299 bridge you'll come to from Hawkins (by the rest stop). And some superb stuff down below the Slough before you hit the Salyer bridge. When the trees are turning, mixed in with that emerald water, it's quite Zen-ish.

I hear that they're releasing a bunch of smolts. So, I'd use something a little bigger that the smolts can't eat. They can be somewhat bothersome. Hot flies for me last year were: Swing - Humbug with a little orange crystalflash wing on top; Bobber-rig: Golden Stone or green rubberleg CJ.

Good Luck, and please post a report and pics if you can.

~J

Default suzie q rapids

map indicates to scout out boulders at suzie q rapids

Default hawkins to salyer float

Suzi Q is not that hard, just beware that the river sucks you into a rock wall. There is a rock garden upstream from Suzi Q that needs negoitating. With the river lower now, many rocks in that section. If you have a raft it will be alot easier.

There is no take out at Salyer also unless you know a landowner.

It is a two day drift if you want to go from Hawkins to Willow creek.