Thread: Steelhead Wading Jacket Advice

Default Steelhead Wading Jacket Advice

I've been researching Steelhead Wading Jackets for the past couple of weeks and the results are inconclusive. I've narrowed my search to the following:

- Patagonia SST
    - Simms G4
    - Orvis Guide Jacket

The Patagonia is a traditional Design with some decent features. Unfortunately, it's not stocked in the SF shop. I'd need to buy it in order to try it. The Patagonia River Salt seems interesting but I'm not sure how it would work as a wading jacket. I like the 4-ply DDR fabric.

The Sims has great features: pocket design, gortex pro shell, venting, retractors, etc. Style-wise, it's a little over the top. What happened classic "forest green or olive?"

The Orvis is a nice product: good pocket design, the fabric seems rugged, taped seams, etc. No arm pit vents ... that's not ideal. I'm usually dressed in layers, so it's nice when you can release some heat.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate your comments.

Best regards,
    Andy
    Last edited by Awood; 09-24-2012 at 09:11 AM.

I wouldn't buy an orvis product--but that's just me.

Regarding the Patagonia SST--I have had one of these for the last 3 seasons, 2 years ago the zipper failed; just before a trip. I called customer service, and they sent me one BEFORE I sent the other one back. Of course, they took my cc just in case, but that's customer service!

The thing I don't like about it is that there is no little places to put nippers or hang other stuff off the jacket.

Now, let's talk about SIMMS. I would look at the G3 jacket instead, IMHO all the performance, but less price? I really like my buddy's G3--but I will say this; it's a little bit heavier than the patagonia.

My call? The extra features of the simms (fly patch, nipper and tool holders that are magnitized to keep stuff from flopping) and gore-tex are all nice.

That said, I go with patagonia. Simpler, waterproof sleeves, shorter length, and lighter overall (I run hot).

I'd add the Redington Sonic Pro to that list. Sonic welded seems are proving to be the most durable thing on the market. It's a bomber jacket.

Otherwise I'd look at the Patagonia offerings including those not categorized for fishing. I use my Powder Bowl jacket more than any of my 'wading jackets' as it moves better with my body, especially when spey casting, and doesn't look as goofy as a wading jacket.

An Arc'teryx with the AR fit (shorter cut) would be on my list too.

Just some honest advice.

How about your "Cookie Monster" Patagonia jacket?

Default Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Best regards,
    Andrew