Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measure Net vs. Brodin Net

Default Measure Net vs. Brodin Net

I was wondering if any of you own a measure net. I was thinking of purchasing the measure net but I was afraid it wouldn't be very strong compared to a wooden net. Any insight would be appreciated.

I don't have a Brodin but I have a wooden handle net and my brother has a measure net. I haven't seen any issues in terms of the strength of either net. I like the measure net because of how easy it is to get a quick measure of the fish with very little or no handling of it.

The net on a measure net is also replaceable. I believe it was on here that some one took and old wooden handle net and replaced the net with a measure net one.

Default measure net

I love my measure net. Keeps The fish from getting bigger every time a tell a story. Measure nets dont lie. I had an old measure net and hooks got caught in the net material and it was a pain. For a few extra bucks they make a rubber net for measure nets and now I am in heaven hooks don"t get stuck and rubber seems better for the fishies.

I saw a guy on the river with a Measure Net bag on a wooden handled net.

Brodin net bags can be replaced even though it takes a little more work. I plan on replacing my Brodin mesh bag with a Ghost Net bag in the future.

AB

I had one of the smaller measure nets that came unhinged while landing a really large trout. A friend caught a photo of my struggle. I called it the fish that was bigger than the net. So exaggeration is still possible with the measure net. It was easily fixed.

I use the measure net and have not broken it or needed to replace the net. I have held bass in it up to 7 pounds. And tons of trout up to 25 inches.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Trout lies

I got a wooden handled net when I started fly fishing again a couple of years ago.

I wanted some notion of the size of the trout I started catching, so I got a tape, a file, and a Sharpie.

I measured out 2-inch increments, starting from the handle edge of the net, working up to the handle.

I filed/sanded a bit at each increment and drew a line and marked the length: 14", 16", 18", 20".

Looked good.

I measured again and discovered I was off by two -- so 16" at 14", 18" at 16", etc.

Hilarious. I was lying to myself with instrumentation before even getting to the water.

Mike O Guest

I bought a measure net replacement net, and put it on the wood handled (el cheapo) net. They come with a zipper, and just zip right on over the frame. They come in multiple sizes, too. Measure your net, buy the appropriate size.

We sell lots of both and have not seen any failures.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........