Thread: Klamath Report

Default Klamath Report

Hey all. Long time no post. No longer up in Humboldt. Down here in wine country now. So we made the 5 1/2hr drive from Santa Rosa up to the Orleans area for some camping and fishing. Did really well same week last year. This year, not as many fish, but it definitely didn't suck. Got around 20 half-pounders (15-20"); a couple 20"+; and a 28" chromer hen that ripped off 100yds of line in the blink of an eye.

Water level was fine for wading (1600cfs at Orleans). Around Orleans it was a little green from the algae, but up a little higher (Green Riffle area) it was fine with water temps in the mid 60's I'd guess. Tons of salmon rolling and porpoising everywhere. Never really had to change flies.....#8 Copper Herniator was the ticket on the swing. Should only get better in the next few weeks as the temps cool and more fish move up past the Trinity confluence.

~J

Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the report. I'll be fishing up in norcal/so ore. the 2nd week of Oct, thinking of spending a day fishing around Seiad/Happy Camp area. Love this time of year,so many options.

---ted

Default Going to the Klamath today

Thanks for the report, I'm leaving at noon today to meet my brother in law at the mouth of the river at Panther Creek. This will be the first time flyfishing the lower section for me. Has anyone had luck swinging dry's with a rifflle hitch on the lower? I know it works further up on occasion. I would love to rise some chrome. Going for 3 days fishing, any tips or lower section reports would be welcomed.
    I'll report when I get back.

Thanks
    Rockman

Quote Originally Posted by golfish View Post
    Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the report. I'll be fishing up in norcal/so ore. the 2nd week of Oct, thinking of spending a day fishing around Seiad/Happy Camp area. Love this time of year,so many options.

---ted
    Ted,

As you drive downstream from Interstate 5 don't stop to fish until you see signs of other anglers. No people usually means no fish up that far yet.

We like to get out very early with a floating line and a dark fly.

Mid-day can be a great time for a break.

Then fish 3pm till dark for some good action.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill, my plan is pretty much that. I usually drive down river from our cabin on Copco until the sun comes up (usually around Seiad). Then I fish my way back up stream looking for a pods of fish. Few people and lots of spots and no one ever in my favorite little runs.