Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anticipation

Default Anticipation

I can feel it, like all animals do this time of year. It's on the way and I welcome it with not just open arms but with my spirit renewed by a new lease on life. Autumn is on the wind, drifting in slightly with a few clues to those who look. The wind has crispness to it, a slight chill. Pine needles have begun falling and the tips of the big leaf maple are turning a slight yellow. Warblers in the high country are on the move and the rest of our feathered friends have changed their normal summer behavior. But the one clue that fall is on its way was the Blue Wing Olive mayflies I saw in the past few days on the North Fork Yuba river, they are back after taking the summer months off for vacation.

Autumn is the most amazing spectacle of our revolving seasons that wash the earth. It can be viewed as a decaying time when all the greenery that spring and summer produced becomes a withered and pale pastel falling from the sky. The days become shorter, the sun is lower in the sky, and darkness overtakes the length of day. But you know what? If you're a fly angler this is special time, this is when mother earth pulls out the top hat, waves the magic wand and grants us the best fishing of the season!

This is by far my favorite time of year; large trout prowl the skinny water of our lakes and can be found right at your feet. Legendary running waters of Northern California like the McCloud, Pit, Fall, Truckee, and the Upper Sac rivers turn on fire for the final show of the season. Classic fall hatches like the October Caddis, BWO's, and the Isonychia mayfly dance like sugar plum fairies in the damp air that hovers over our sacred waters.

The only problem with this time of year is that it is over before you know it. I wish the great creator could just stretch it out a little more and allow us to savor those delightful and perfect presentations that become mere flashbacks in the cold winter months ahead. I don’t’ know about you but I am so ready for this, I think about fly fishing and autumn all year long. To watch summer fade into fall and dance in rhythm with the trout and their world is a passion that consumes my every thought. Somebody pinch me.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Default Nice post Jon

Fall is a truly great time of the year. Planning on a couple of trips out in the next two months!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    ....their world is a passion that consumes my every thought. Somebody pinch me.
    (There is therapy for that)

An Autumn song, beautifully sung, thanks so much.

Well said Jon B....

Default Yes...we're seeing & waiting for change

Jon----For us "older generation" there was a great song entitled "Anticipation".

For sure we can feel the subtle changes here in Truckee...I too anticipate the Second Season. "Solitude...long leaders...short days...stout tippets...'picking pockets'...and other opportunities".

The Fall 2012 issue of Sierra Fisherman (www.sierrafisherman.com) has just been printed. It should be on-line, hopefully, in a few days.You have authored a great article there entitled Top Ten Flies for Stillwaters...page 18.

PS...starting to see some earlier-than-anticpated BWO or Little Western Olives in this case the genera Acentrella formerly known as Prince...no, I mean Pseudocloeon . Also, some people are reporting seeing October Caddis adults. I really doubt that obeservation. IMO, they are mistakenly seeing adult Cinnamon Caddis...I call it the False Fall Caddis...which proceeds the emergence to the REAL October Caddis. They're both of the Limnephilidae family.

Ralph could probably confirm my suspicions....the title of another "old age" song...

Frank R. Pisciotta
    www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 09-08-2012 at 01:57 PM.

I pray when I get to heaven it will be October 12 months a year!

Frank, Thanks for the props. You're right about the "false Oct. Caddis", many anglers mistake that for dicosmoecus. It's smaller and a poor flyer as well, my crew calls them "wimpy wings". I have found on average that the Oct. Caddis is most prolific during "World Series" time.

jbird - Hallelujah!
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

I too love the fall....but dearly enjoy the solitude of winter.

Default Mmmm fall

The one thing I really miss about the mainland is fall weather. I love the fall colors all ablaze. I love stacked girls in sweaters. I love football and wearing my favorite suede jacket. And I love doo-doo browns who head upstream to spawn! Hawaii is wonderful, but it would be even better if the leaves changed color and it cooled off to 60 degrees. I miss the fall. Mems.
    Don Memmer

That's one helluva post Jon. Thanks.
    Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.