Thread: Salt on the brain

Default Salt on the brain

Hello all,

So, I recently moved back to NorCal from south Texas where i was soaked in salt for a few years, and now all this trout water is wearing off the brine. I have never pursued piscine predators in the salt out here, but I am itching to try and pin it down. I've read/heard plenty about rockfishing the jetties, which sounds fun and all, but I am leaning more towards leopards. Info on fly fishing them this far north is sparse at best, and I know I need to take a few scouting trips out to see what I can dig up, but if I can find anyone that might have a bit of a handle on it, here is what I am proposing:

A trip for a trip.
    Leopards for steelies, or a drift on the Sac, or whatever one might be seeking a little further inland, or if you just want to help out a fellow fly bum out of the goodness of your heart.

Or if anybody else is crazy enough to try it, I have recently been toying with the idea of chumming from a yak for some larger quarry. I just need to hear my reel scream again, and not in those short bursts of a steelhead. I mean really whining the backing into the brine. Hope to hear some replies.

Question Salty Stuff....

Well, you haven't had much luck with your question so far.... Can't help much with Leopards.... I know there're some in the area around Tomales, Bodega and Humoldt Bays but I've never targeted them. There's a couple of guys that know something about targeting Leopards over there but they're generally tight lipped about it.

If you haven't already checked them out, you might call Eureka Fly Shop. They're up on all bay/estuary/surf fishing up there. As for Kayak stuff, try:

http://www.Humboats.com

This place is in Humboldt Bay and rents kayaks or, if you already have one provides a place to buy kayak gear up there. They should, also, have info about any fisheries inside or outside the bay. Lots a good Halibut fishing up there.

Good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Darian,

Yeah, most folks I've run into out here and back on the Texas coast are pretty tight-lipped about the fishing. Must be something in the salt. Can't say I really blame them . As for Humboats, I have looked into them before. I've got a great stand-up rig for out there, but maybe they can be of a little more help. Called up the Eureka Fly Shop and I can never get the ONE guy that fishes for leopards out there. Mostly just the rock fishermen. Oh well, guess it'll have to be a lot of trial and error.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6524

I haven't done it for several years because almost all of my spots have been closed off by MLPAs . Check Tomales Bay between Marshall and Dillons Beach .... if the Cal DFG hasn't f$@#ed us out of that area yet , you will find Sharks there . Be careful wading , sand is good .... mud is BAD !

Good luck !

D.~

Thanks David, I had seen your post before and that was what kinda got me started on this kick.

Thus far it doesn't look like the areas I have been considering are affected by the MLPAs. Tomales was on my radar, also considering a few areas around Humboldt Bay. I'll let ya know how it goes when I get a chance to make the drive. Until then, I'll just have to chase steelhead