Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: September Steelhead runs......?

Steelhead have been C & R for many years in British Columbia. The results have been good but not spectacular. AND there it limited or no fishing by native indians.

Many of the rivers that have had huge declines in steelhead do not have dams, although some do have logging and mining... So why have steelhead declined on rural rivers with little fresh water sports fishing pressure?

A lot of people in BC blame the offshore fishing where steelhead are often netted with salmon.

intersting that BC has a different set of problems than N California but has some of the same end results.

Guess it is the ongoing problem of what affects steelhead and salmon the most- offshore fishing, pollution, dams, warm water, native gill netting or sports fishing.

What ever it is that makes steelies disappear I almost feel like just giving up fishing and just going and enjoy a day at the shooting range............

Lets face it there is just to much to fix! Or to much to what even people (that have the power)will want to fix; or have the will to fix. I just read and read but not much is done. If it is then show me proof and don't tell me that steelhead are on a decline....

In the end I will enjoy what I can when I can.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"