Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Mantis

Default California Mantis

I wish I would have brought my camera yesterday. Regular Wild Kingdom down in the Truckee River canyon. Saw a coyote, a mule deer, a rainbow, a brown and this guy. I didn't know we had mantis in California...

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Troutpuncher View Post
    I wish I would have brought my camera yesterday. Regular Wild Kingdom down in the Truckee River canyon. Saw a coyote, a mule deer, a rainbow, a brown and this guy. I didn't know we had mantis in California...

You mean like praying mantis mantis? They're pretty common in my neck of the woods. LOVE them. Super badass bugs - eat hummingbirds if given the opportunity.

_SHig

If you are talking praying mantis they are all over the Sacramento area. I see them on a regular basis, even have to save one of my car window every now and then.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Well how about that...

"When the Stagmomantis Californica mate, the mount can last for hours. Often during or after mating the female S. Californica devours the male, allowing the female to have enough protein to create an Ootheca. All S. Californicas have sensors near their legs that allow the praying mantis to lose its head and still function. This is good if the head is devoured during mating.[5]"

The ultimate sacrifice for your kids. I'm pretty sure in some species, the male's head is an inibitor to genetic material transfer. One reason while typically the female removes the male's head during copulation.

Mike O Guest

They are especially cool when they fly. They are the largest flying insect I think I have ever seen. Freaky when one buzzes by your ear at night, even worse when they land in your wife's hair when she is siting next to you.

I was fishing on the Bear river this summer and got to fish with one on my left shoulder for a while. Then it decided it had enough river travel with me and flew off They are cool insects if you ask me!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Ran into a great big green one on the Truckee a few weeks back. Bigfly took some pics but keeps forgetting to upload.

Default Mantis

OK, fine Dan.....
    Here you go.

And I raise you a Phasmid...
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Default Bugs....

Now that's a pair to draw, too. love the photo's. Keep 'em coming....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown