Thread: HDR Android App

Default HDR Android App

I had recalled some posts in this section about a year ago about the use of HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo processing that delivered some spectacular nature photos with difficult lighting. Today I found an Android app (and iPhone also) called "Pro HDR Camera" that does this with cell phone cameras. Since it only cost $ 1.99 I tried it out.

As I understand it, HDR processing brackets the exposure by taking several shots to both under and over expose parts of the scene and then combines them into one photo.

Below are two test shots taken in my living room with no room lights or flash and a brightly lighted south facing window. Normally the window scene would be washed out with the dark portions of the room not showing any detail.

One photo was taken using the HDR app, and the other with the "stock" camera application on my HTC phone. While neither of these will win any contests, they show how easy it is to get these good results. Both just used automatic settings, and a manual mode is also available. My only editing was to resize them for posting here.

I have no $ connections to this app and just wanted to pass along some new technology that may improve your photos. Have fun!

HDR - https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?t...40779563285938

Regular - https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?h...41088385703793

Craig McCulloch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDR YES hdr_00000_2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	4979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDR - NO IMAG0197.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	4980  

Default app

Craig,
    Thanks for the "heads up." I gonna take a look at it. Big difference in the
    two photos.
    Best,
    Larry S