Thread: Trinity River question

Default Trinity River question

Several friends of mine, some of whom are accomplished fly fishers, fished the trinity river over the weekend around the lewiston area. They did not do well at all fishing for trout.

I remember fishing here in the summer over 5 or 6 years ago and doing very well, having no problem catching rising fish every day.

Have things been changing on this river recently?

Flows are cranked way up to get cold water down to the Klamath,
    By the end of september conditions should be more ideal.

Default Trinity

There are normally a lot of fish, 6-12 inchers in the upper river in the late summer and fall months and usually good fishing in the evenings, especially later in the season. there's a consistent BWO hatch which is very difficult to match (at least for me) from early October on, October Caddis are about and stimulators work well. But this year, they're manipulating the flows to maintain lower water temps in the lower Klamath and I have had no success on the Trinity, including the fly water. This week the flows are dropping down to the normal fall flow of 450 from 950 and when they stabilize I expect the fishing to get better. There are a lot of other places to fish in the area and you're probably better going elsewhere until the flow manipulation ceases. The river is difficult wading at flows above 850 in a lot of places as well. When it drops, there's a lot more wadeable and fishable water.
    do it with a long rod and a gentle touch.