Thread: Casting small dries into the sun?

Default Casting small dries into the sun?

A couple of weeks ago I was up on the Silver Fork early in the morning and was having a lot fun sight fishing in pocket water. As soon as the sun came over the trees I found myself fishing directly into it for the rest of the day and had a real tough time seeing my fly in the bright sun and in white water.

Most of the time I had no idea where my fly was, what kind of drift I was getting, or if there were fish showing any interest.

Should I fish a shorter leader? fish downstream instead of up? get better eyes?

Mike O Guest

use an indicator upline from the fly?

If glare gets really bad, sometimes I fish a fly with a black wing or just use an indicator fly like Mike O said.

I will sometimes put on a larger dry that I can see then put the small dry as a dropper so at least have a general idea where the small fly is and can strike on rises in the vicinity.

I've seen times where you just gotta change your angle, maybe fish downstream. I mean change your angle alot. I think what you're describing here isn't just a hard to see fly, it's total blindness in the area where you think your fly is.
    Bob