Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter NorCal Steelhead Outfit?

Default Winter NorCal Steelhead Outfit?

What spey outfits are you guys using for our winter steelhead waters? I have an 11' #8 wt Echo3 switch with a 510 skagit that i love for those smaller coastal waters, but i'm searching for something to use on bigger streams (Eel, Smith). I messed around with my 6126 Redington but found that it was not great for throwing heavier tips and big bugs, so i'm considering a 7 wt. I know we have smaller steel down here, but do you guys go to 7 wt+ rods during winter?

What are you fishing during the winter?

Kobe, I pretty much stick with my trusty ACR 1296. It turn over heavy enough tips , big bugs, and bullet weights (if needed) with a 475 skagit. I have landed fish up to 14 # on the 6wt, but will take the 7 out just to switch it up time to time. On Nor Cal waters a 6 can pretty much get the job done in my book. A 6 DH is equivalent to a 8 SH. Can't wait any longer... Wish it was November . Good luck in 2013

If you like the flex on the Echo 3 switch then you should check out the 7130 Echo 3 spey. Killer winter rod that will toss big flies with ease. http://flyshop.kiene.com/echo31276-4pcspeyrod-1.aspx

I had my 126 6wt tfo deercreek out Wednesday tossing 13ft of t14 with a comet .... And used it on the eel last winter kinda the limits of what it can do .... I hooked a sizable salmon last Sunday on this rig and it handled it nicely ....albeit I would like to get a 126 7wt to handle the big stuff .... The 420 Skagit does turn it over but not well ...... It is a challenge lifting the t14 in swift current

David, If only throwing a comet you might drop down to t-11. Sinks nearly as fast and won't be quite so hard to throw. That Deer Creek is a nice rod.

With your Echo3 11'#8 Switch rod you basically have a nice short 11' #7 weight (500 grain Skagit) Spey rod for all intent and purpose.

If you buy a 12'6" to 13' #7 Spey rod you can use the same reel and lines and tips and have a great winter rod for larger, more open rivers like the Eel.

Best of both worlds......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I am fishing a 13 foot 7 weight that I got from Fyshhead about 2 years ago. I think, IMHO that the 7 weight is probably the best all around spey rod for steelhead in Northern California. I am taking it to Canada this Fall so I will see how it performs on hopefully larger fish.

Scott 12'8" 7 with Skagit Short 625 is my favorit rod for winter.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

I have a 7126 TCX with a 525 or 540 skagit is great for most coastal rivers.

When I'm on the Eel or Smith I go with my Beulah 13'6" 8/9 which can throw a 625 skagit, 10' of T-17 and heavy flies very easily. I like the length for line control on the bigger water. I would have been just as happy with a straight 8 weight though.

Jeremy

I like to use two basic rods for Steelhead:
    For Central Valley = Sage 6110 with 425 gr Spey head / T8/T11 tips
    For Coast/Oregon = TCX 7126 with 525gr Scandi/T11/14 tips

I'm evaluating a new Sage One 7136 for Winter Fishing too, but it isn't in the lineup right now. Just fished the Deschutes for three days with it and it performed well, but it really wants to boom out line. A bit overgunning for short 40-50 foot casts in close quarters.

Regards,

Grant