Thread: For the birds!

Default For the birds!

FOR THE BIRDS!
    Yellowfin tuna, dorado, marlin and sailfish provided constant action on the East Cape this week.

We had a little different gig for a few days though. Four years ago I was asked to take a group of bird watchers out on Jen Wren to sight marine birds. To be honest I kind of thought it was joke and planned to take them over to the moorings where they could watch pelicans make a mess on fishing boat bimini tops. That thought couldn't have been further from reality and my crew and myself got a heck of an education from the birders.

On this exploration four years ago birders known to be authorities on the subject of marine birds came from as far away as Europe. I quickly found out southern Baja has been little explored and not much is known about what marine birds habitat or migrate through here. We sighted several different species not know to frequent these parts. The trip was a huge success and word spread rapidly through bird-nerd circles.

Since that time we have had requests to do bird watching trips every year. Each trip birders have agreed that the Sea of Cortez is rich with life and has an excellent bird habitat. It was interesting to sight and learn about the pink footed shearwater bird. They are only known to nest in Chili. I thought that was a long journey for a bird until sighting the south polar skua that came all the way from the Antarctic coast.

The most incredible sight we experienced this week was watching a south polar skua bird take down a boobie bird. Not seeing it with my own eyes I would not have believed it. I would like to thank John Shemilt for sharing some of the images he captured of this event while on Jen Wren III.

We witnessed this south polar skua come out of nowhere and knock a boobie bird out of the sky

The skua pounced on the boobie when it landed in the water

The boobie bird was in distress

Trying to fight back

The skua would have no part of it

The skua bird pecked unmercifully

The boobie tried to escape

The skua bird was just too powerful

What a battle!

In the end we drifted too close which distracted the skua. The boobie flew away and all agreed our presence saved it's life.

Walking the beach in front of Rancho Buena Vista one morning I sighted this Yellow Bellied sea snake. Never a dull moment in Baja!

For the latest East Cape conditions "like" www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
    Mark Rayor
    teamjenwren.com
    markrayor.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/JenWrenSportfishing
    US cell 310 308 5841

Bad ass bird!