Thread: Musky on the fly!

Default Musky on the fly!

Well I did it! A DIY musky on the fly today. I took a buddy down to the river who hadnt been to this river in 15 years. He was a spin fisherman and outfished me badly...Which I learned a lot from!! For me the day started slow and frustrating but later turned amazing! The final tally for the day for me was... 4 nothern pike to 20". 6 walley to 18", the usual mess of smallies to 16" and.... wait for it.... a MUSKY! Tho small only around 27" but a musky nonetheless! Sorry, no pics this time

Exclamation

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D.~ (Totally at a loss for words .....)

congrats! They're addicting -- particularly in clear water!

Nice jbird, actually up in Ontario Canada right now and headed for a DIY on Sunday-Tuesday. I hope I have similar results. I will be in a canoe and I have some sweet flies to throw at them. I heard to strip fast for the muskies? Any tips, I have only caught one before on the fly?
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

I think it depends, just like for any other fish, how fast or slow you strip. If you are getting followed but not bit, try to read the fish for what might trigger him. This fish I got, I threw a clouser out into a deep (6') hole. I let it sink for a 10 count, made my first strip and he was already on.