Thread: Local Fishing Advice

Default Local Fishing Advice

Let me first start by stating my weakest aspect of my fly fishing is for trout. I don't do a lot of it but would like to do more.

However, as a kid, it was my strongest, but with a spinning rod and bait/lures that is. I was reared on riding trail bikes with my father into the high country tributaries of the Sierra's and down in the canyons of the Merced River to fish with spinning rods and salmon eggs years ago. Small tribs outside Yosemite and canyon areas called Devil's Gulch, Hite's Cove, etc. These were old dirt mining roads leading down to the river. In those areas, the river flows pretty good and every part of the river that should of had a fish in it did!

But I got the itch to try it locally and relive some old memories. I looked at a forest map, planned a few stops, fired up the enduro and headed to the middle fork of the American as a starting point.

What I learned...

Other than the middle fork below Oxbow and the Yuba below Englebright, flows are low on other forks of the American River system and the Rubicon. By low, I mean, not exactly my type of fishing (I haven't yet come to enjoy the challenges small stream fishing provides). So no real trout fishing for me to enjoy in the higher elevations apparently unless it's lakes or the Big Truckee.

While there, however, I thought I'd try below Oxbow. Higher release and cool water temps I thought would be a good thing. Went for a little walk downstream but the banks are so tight with trees and brush and the area generally very swift, all I got out of it was the nice walk. Not a lot of fishable water in my 1/4 mile trek and the canyon walls became to steep to navigate around and no place to cross. So I started up the bike, scouted out a few more areas but ended up heading home with tail between legs.

So here's my request for help... without revealing any secret spots, are there any areas that can be accessed with a trail bike that is fishable. Love to take a trip down memory lane and introduce my son to what my dad and I did for fun.

PS. Too bad I'm not into kayaking. You trout guys into kayaking is a match made in heaven!

Any input is appreciated.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Ron, lots of good moto-to water on the East Carson, you have another couple good months of riding and fishing as well.

Also some good moto-to riding on the north fork of the yuba, around the georgetown area.

If you are plated, there is some great stuff off 88 as well, or the Silver Fork of the American up 50 also.

Thanks Jed. Think I'll put the Silver Fork and East Carson on the radar screen.
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.