Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect flow for wading the Lower American R.

Default Perfect flow for wading the Lower American R.

It will be 2,000 cfs on September 1, 2012.

Get out there early and late in the day for Half-pounders.

Cast across and down with a floating line, mend a little and let it swing through to the bottom.

Keep moving slowly down stream to cover more water.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Watch out for the man eating beavers. Better yet, just stay home or go up to the mountains for cooler weather.

Nothing to fish here, move along, just move along.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Bill,

I finally caught a few Half-pounders on the swing over the last week. I didn't have a sink tip with me so I just used a split shot. I'm not sure how much to mend. In other words, how fast do you want the fly to swing? Thanks.
    craig

Default swing speed

Swing speed per the Medford boys the term they use and taught me is slow painfully slow

Burl51,

Thanks for the tip. "Slow, painfully slow" will be in my mind from now on. I'm pretty sure I've been allowing the fly to swing much too quickly.
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by burl51 View Post
    Swing speed per the Medford boys the term they use and taught me is slow painfully slow
    How do you make the swing go slower than the flow of the current? Or are you meaning something else?

Upstream mend can help slow it down, although if you botch the mend then it will severely shorten your swing. I'd rather my fly make a complete swing at a faster rate than only swing through part of the zone slowly. Doug will go over all this at the half pounder clinic on the 8th.

Default slow painfully slow

ok here I go
    Casting down and across big mend try not to move the fly upstream. During the mend let out a small amount of line for mending to allow the fly to sink. Point the rod tip at the fly and follow the fly. Slow I mean slow. Irritate the fish. Keep a loop of line between your rod hand and the reel.
    Kind hard to explain with out visuals.

Burl

The fly is still going to move at the same speed of the water. I was always taught that the fly should flow at the same speed of the water or the fish will notice that it might not be natural. If the line goes slower than the fly then the fly will be dragged and will not keep its depth.

These are just my thoughts, I am not trying to argue with you or anyone.

Question Slooooooow....

In general, a fly will tend to drift with the current (at the same speed). However, currents are rarely uniform between top and bottom or from side to side of the water column due to many factors (bottom structure in the main).

I think the "painfully slow" mantra applies more to and comes from using nymphing techniques. It's important to get down deep near structure where fish hold out of the way of the main current. Not sure swinging a fly will ever be as slow but slowing it down is entirely possible. For example, choose lines that will allow a deep presentation and allow mending as well (sink-tips or sinking heads). Choose water that has a slower current and mend the line as it swings. Cast quartering upstream and across (instead of down and across) allowing the fly to reach depth before the start of the swing and, last, add weight to the leader (split shot) and/or fly (heavier or weighted hooks).

Just some ideas to try....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown