Thread: AR Sunday Afternoon

Default AR Sunday Afternoon

I caught this 15" wild fish on the AR yesterday afternoon. Based on what I've been reading, it might qualify as a true Half-pounder:

I'd be interested to hear what others think as to whether this is a true Half-pounder and I won't be offended either way. I enjoy reading the pure fishing posts as well as the scientific information.

When I hooked this fish, indicator fishing through a deep run, I thought it was much larger. It put up an excellent fight on my 6 weight fly rod. I had been swinging a soft hackle for a couple of hours with only two little guys hooked.
    craig

Whatever you want to call it; looks like a great fish.

Nicely done!

where did you catch that fish on the american river?

Talking

I would call it striper bait...and any fish on the American deserves a congratulations, I am jealous
    got'a'boat (the man in the red pontoon)

Nice fish man.....what fly did you fool 'em with?

Guess it's time to get out there soon.

EO

Fished on Sunday too. Caught some smolts and to my suprise a 15 in striper on a Dirty Bird!

You're right, there are plenty of big strippers in the AR that could swallow that fish in one bite!

I caught that fish just downstream from Hazel at Sailor Bar on a size 12 Bird's Nest.
    craig

Not a bad fish. I would call that a true half-pounder in spirit. I don't really care. AR fish can put up a good fight. I use my 8wt these days, got tired of getting schooled by fish over 18" on my 6wt. I got really gunshy on hooking decent fish on my 6wt after just getting blown away by about a 3-4lbs fish. It probably cost me landing them as I would get really doubtful of landing anything that had decent pulling power. On the bright side, I can really put the wood to them now and even fish over 20" I can land in under 3 minutes, but I have to be careful because I've had 2X hooks start to open up.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Caught a 14 inch halfpounder after work today swinging a Swinging Ching mid-river.