Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video on North Umpqua River - Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by golfish View Post
    Most people would probably recommend a 14' poly but I was using 10' with 5-6ft of 10lb. I wanted to ensure that the big wind resistant fly was turning over straight which is critical to start popping straight away, worked well for me.

All fish rose on a skaopper, 2/3 fish were hooked on the comeback fly, a big blocky muddler I tied, same popping action.
    Thanks for the info. I've been debating on whether to get a Rage line. Normally I'm fine with my compact scandi. However, on some of the rivers around here the wind is so strong in the afternoons that the scandi has a hard time with a skater tied on.

Regarding the comeback fly. Did you fish the muddler under the surface? Or was it on the surface too? My best way to catch fish with a skater is to not even catch them with the skater. But just use them as locators, then switch to a wet for the actual hookup. Maybe I'm bailing too soon, but I seem to have better luck that way.

Thanks,
    Rick

Comeback fly tied on same rig and fished the same way. Wasn't throwing spray like the popper but it was on the surface or in the film.

I used the same muddler with a 10' Type VI on the Rage later that day on the Rogue and picked up another fish, love muddlers...

Great video. I love that place!! Thanks for sharing.