Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Truckee -- 30" Brown

Gee... I wonder why Matt stays away from forums like this??

Default spawner??

Just a question... Is the fish posted by Bull Dog caught by Doug a spawner? Lets see hooked jaw, dark orange and dark brown.... When was that fish caught.

This thread is a bit like a bad car wreck you just cant look away from. Sadly, I had a feeling it would go this way from the word "go". Heaven forbid someone post a picture of a nice fly caught fish in fly fishing forum. Congratulations for an amazing catch. Screw all the haters!

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Screw all the haters!
    Nice post JBird.

The knee jerk competitiveness of the fly fishing industry has become as absurd as it has become repugnant. SOME guides, reps, and manufacturers don't miss a beat when it comes to cutting the competition off at the knees or using the moment to elevate their own status.

When Matt was randomly complimented as "The Man" it was a figurative statement. No one in their sober mind would think he was seriously crowned King of the Truckee and bestowed some sort of knighthood. To shout out across the ethers in ALL CAPS that "no, my business partner is the REAL man" suggests a serious lack of self confidence and paranoia that their business might suffer because a competitor could also know how to fish the river. The argument degrades even further when "which side of the river" is brought into play. Do trout give a wit when they swim across state lines?

The lack of decor and tight fisted focus on profits, numbers, and media exposure is the antithesis of why we (most of us) fly fish. As a member of the fly fishing industry and community, I am embarrassed, and profoundly sorry to our consumers for how such a bitchin sport has been turned into a dog-eat-dog experience at the commercial level.

Default I have no class, but

thank you, Frank and Ralph for keeping it real, and doing it with class. those browns up there are truly amazing! p.s. can I be the man, if I get 3 browns 10".

Wait, them browns don't have to pay out of state fees to come eat Cali fish? There's the problem!

Nice fish. Gotta make it more exciting for everybody just knowing those fish are in there(and prolly bring more business for ALL the area guides).

JBird, I hear ya. Sounds like a bunch of kids crying over there dinner because they got served Brussel sprouts! Nice fish! Congratulations!!!

Ralph, I hope you don't mind a newcomer replying to your last post. I don't think the attitude you describe is limited to just fly fishers. I have some good friends that run a husband and wife guide service in Cal, Ore, and Alaska. While at a very large fishing show, they had some old clients show up at their booth, and express surprise that the husband was still alive. Seems one of their competitors at the show had told the clients that Gary had died, and the business was shut down. The other outfitter of course offered to book them with his own company. I think society in general has changed in that people want things right away. Be it money, success, or recognition, instead of doing it the old fashion way by working for it. It's easier and quicker to downgrade someone else, and eliminate the competition.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Yard Sale View Post
    Wait, them browns don't have to pay out of state fees to come eat Cali fish? There's the problem!

Nice fish. Gotta make it more exciting for everybody just knowing those fish are in there(and prolly bring more business for ALL the area guides).
    Good Call yard,

I know where I am going to g be headed this fall when I got some free fishing time.

Default Old Proverb

"Never wrestle with a pig...you both get dirty, and the pig enjoys it."
    Last edited by Bob G; 08-27-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: clarity