Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Truckee -- 30" Brown

Wow! I guess someone is actually counting other peoples fish rather than their own.

I catch all the fish. There is no contest

Default Praise where praise is due

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Wow! I guess someone is actually counting other peoples fish rather than their own.
    Doug documented his fish for a video and some other presentations he has done. Time, place, length of fish etc. We have all caught big fish but if you are talking about the man on the Truckee It is not me, Gilligan, Frank etc.

It is Doug Ouellette. Kind of Like the U.S. basketball team and then everyone else!

Default Both right and wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R. Pisciotta View Post
    Hey Bull-Dog (Rob Anderson)----I just said "this area" I guess I should have been more specific in saying "this side of the CA/NV border". For sure Doug is the man for big fish on the Truckee...in Nevada.

Yes, Matt has been licensed as a Nevada guide during the last 3-4 years. Prior to, guiding in California, in his low-key promotional way, he has been developing a reputation for large fish...before Doug got licensed as a guide THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER.

They are both superb guides and California natives; who know their waters a lot better than recent "transplants" .

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...I didn't know this was a contest
    It is not a contest. But you said the man for big fish in the area. That fish was caught in Nevada not California.

Anyway Matt is a great guide I was just commenting on "the man" part of your post. None of us will be around to argue this point when the next guy gets 40 2 footers in 1 year or even 10 for that matter.

Nothing against Matt and never will be anything against Matt. He is just not "the man"

Oh yeah and Doug has been guiding in California off and on since most of the area guides were in diapers!

Honestly, who cares Bull Dog. The fish is huge and the biggest I've seen posted all year. Doug is a big boy and can "defend" his own honor for "The MAN" title. I've just seen Matt being promoted more from other people so I'd take your negativity else where. Act your age and not your shoes size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Honestly, who cares Bull Dog. The fish is huge and the biggest I've seen posted all year. Doug is a big boy and can "defend" his own honor for "The MAN" title. I've just seen Matt being promoted more from other people so I'd take your negativity else where. Act your age and not your shoes size.
    +1 I agree Rossflyguy

Sounds like someone has a case of sour grapes. Why can't someone have a little success without someone else trying to put them down in a game of one up-manship?

Congrats on a nice fish Matt

Rob-

Your post sums up what has gone wrong with the sport more than anything I could think of writing. For a lot of reasons, drop it.

Ralph

*backing away slowly from this thread with a questioning look on my face*

Quote Originally Posted by Bull_Dog View Post
    Oh yeah and Doug has been guiding in California off and on since most of the area guides were in diapers!
    Rob (Truckee River Outfitters)---Interersting.

I really like Doug, he is a real genlteman, an incredibly competent fly angler and guide. I hold him in the highest regard and he deserves it.

In all honesty, I was never aware that Doug has in the long-past guided in California. I've had a pretty decent idea who the licensed California guides were over the years. To my knowledge the first offically licensed California guide to work this side of the border in the Truckee area was Randy Johnson (197, Ralph Cutter (1981) and then myself (1984). FYI, my CA F & G resident guide license is #432.

I used to call the CA F & G and check to see who was legally licensed to operate in California; because there was some scamming going on. At those times the CA F & G had a published, printed list of California guides and I'd go through the list looking at the areas annotated where the guides operated; I don't recall seeing Doug's name there.

Can you enlightened me when he was guiding in California?

Frank R. Pisciotta

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R. Pisciotta View Post
    Rob (Truckee River Outfitters)---Interersting.

FYI, my CA F & G resident guide license is #432.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    I dug my old CDF&G Resident Lic's out of the files from that era and the numbers changed from year to year # 228 to # 238, etc. Should those numbers really mean anything to anyone? Doubtful.
    Don't see what any of this has to do who caught what - when, and with who. You're all professionals, yes?

Hats off to the angler in the photo, he made the cast, got the drift, set the hook, played the fish to the net and mugged for the photo. Beats the hell out of my biggest fish on the T lately, in Cal or Nev. The anglers got a great shot of a great day.

Best, Dave Ecklund