Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Truckee -- 30" Brown

Default Truckee -- 30" Brown

Since he never promotes himself here, I'll do it for him. A client of Matt Koles from Gilligan's Guide Service in Truckee (the guy lives right on the river) just landed a 30" brown -- photos to prove it.

Lookie here: http://gilligansguideservice.com/blo.../21/leviathan/

TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river
    Last edited by Troutsource; 08-29-2012 at 02:41 PM.

People usually have to go to New Zealand to catch a Brown trout that big???

The Truckee River is know for large fish.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Holy Toledo!

Nice one!

Biggest non-anadromous, non-triploid, non-private water trout caught this(any) year in moving water in CA? State record is 26.5# from Twin Lake.

Isn't there a White River in ARK that puts out fish like that too?

Jeepers creepers that's a big fish, or does he just have small hands?

JGB

Word is he had a client get another biggun the next day as well. Matt's a super guide who worries more about fishing than promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Nice one!

Biggest non-anadromous, non-triploid, non-private water trout caught this(any) year in moving water in CA?

JGB
    I'm pretty sure the Truckee puts out 30" plus browns just about every year. A 10 year old kid caught a 31" brown at River Ranch while the parents were having a drink at the bar in the middle of the afternoon. A 32" brown was entered into Mt. Hardware's fishing derby that was reportedly caught under the 267 bridge in Truckee. USFWS electrofished a 34 inch pig from the California side and I've seen more than a few 30+ inchers while diving and taped one at 32" in a very non-fishy looking spot that must have a dozen anglers a day walk right past it.

In any regards, Matt's fish is awesome and a MUCH more impressive feat than catching fall spawners who have moved into smaller waters.

Fantastic fish! I can only imagine the difficulty of landing a fish that big. It's very impressive that Robert was able to control that fish and keep it out of the fast water.

Ralph, it's very interesting to hear your accounts of 30" plus fish seen while diving and those caught in high traffic areas. We're lucky to have the opportunity to fish for such remarkable specimens. It reminds me to pay close attention to tying strong knots!
    craig

Default Thanx Ralph, but shhhh....TMI.

I thought of that guy too.

I am pretty sure I saw a short part of that video on an advertisement on TV? Can't remember the product, but they were showing short/flash clips from a wide range of diverse situations. The ad showed just a 3 sec clip of him holding the fish up for the camera and then it flashed to something else.

JGB

Default Yes Indeed!

Matt---Congrats I'm really proud of you producing such a trout for a client.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    In any regards, Matt's fish is awesome and a MUCH more impressive feat than catching fall spawners who have moved into smaller waters.
    Ralph---Agreed on your above quote. Matt is the man for big fish in this area and he knows where they are. And yes, as others have said he is a very low-key promoter. For sure you too know about these monsters since you have been "swimming with the fish" for years.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Default Big Fish on the Truckee

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R. Pisciotta View Post
    Matt---Congrats I'm really proud of you producing such a trout for a client.

Ralph---Agreed on your above quote. Matt is the man for big fish in this area and he knows where they are. And yes, as others have said he is a very low-key promoter. For sure you too know about these monsters since you have been "swimming with the fish" for years.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    That is an awesome fish Matt!! Congrats.

Sorry though Frank, When giving credit where credit is due, Doug Ouellette is the man for big fish on the Truckee. Doug was catching these fish before any of these guys even had a Nevada fishing license. It is his presence and pictures that have spawed the new crowds on the river.

Ending last year in a 52 week period Doug either caught or had clients catch over 40 fish of at least 24 inches. IN ONE YEAR! He is so far ahead of everyone else that it isnt even a contest.
    Still a great fish and a great day on the water for Matt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIG BROWN DOUG.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	4911  

Default ...this side of the border.

Hey Bull-Dog (Rob Anderson)----I just said "this area" I guess I should have been more specific in saying "this side of the CA/NV border". For sure Doug is the man for big fish on the Truckee...in Nevada.

Yes, Matt has been licensed as a Nevada guide during the last 3-4 years. Prior to, guiding in California, in his low-key promotional way, he has been developing a reputation for large fish...before Doug got licensed as a guide THIS SIDE OF THE BORDER.

They are both superb guides and California natives; who know their waters a lot better than recent "transplants" .

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...I didn't know this was a contest