Thread: Summer Steelhead on the Umpqua River July 20-29th

Default Summer Steelhead on the Umpqua River July 20-29th

Every summer my wife Jerri and I make a short annual pilgrimage to the Umpqua River from our home in the shadow of Shasta to search for summer run steelhead. The Umpqua has one of the few remaining runs of wild summer fish in the lower 48 states that supports angling. The fish are also surface oriented and getting one to tip up from a deep emerald pool for a skated fly can be one of most magical moments in our sport.

This season, our longtime friend Ed Filice, owner of La Filice Winery joined us for a week of perfect weather, great food, phenomenal wine, ideal water conditions and outstanding fishing. Ed is an outstanding wine maker, fly tier (check out his flies @ http://dragginflys.com/), tournament spey caster, and a delightful guy to spend a day on the water with. He started off the trip in stylish fashion, hooking and landing a bright buck on his sixth cast! Ed caught the fish on a fly he tied specifically for the trip, a beautiful Birrell's "Soft Water Sedge." It is a sparse waking/wet fly muddler style that attracted interest from some other fish during the week as well.

Most mornings started off quite cool, and though not a morning person, I was encouraged by Ed and Jerri to make some early starts to fish the more popular runs before other rods had been through. Evenings were warm and we wore shirtsleeves until it was too dark to fish. Steelhead seemed to be scattered throughout the river from Deadline all the way through the Camp Water and above.

One afternoon we visited Lee Spencer on Steamboat Creek where he serves as interpreter and "fish guardian." Lee confirmed the fish were not concentrated in the Camp Water as the creek had been running high and many fished had moved up into the creek where they are protected. The hole where he is stationed to guard them was holding about 500 wild steelhead, an amazing site to see!

After raising eight fish in the first four days, I finally landed one while Ed and I were on a guided day with Rich Zellman. Rich is one of the finest guides we have had the pleasure to fish with. Catch rates on the Umpqua are low on average, so it can be a challenging venue to please highly expectant anglers. Rich does an outstanding job of providing anglers of every experience level some opportunities at fish while advancing their knowledge and skills. To see Rich in action skating flies on his home water check out a video on our website. We also have a few pics and a link to an interview with Lee Spencer.

It looks to be a good season on the Umpqua, hope to see you up there soon!
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 08-11-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Craig Nielsen

Very nice Craig! I was up there the week after 7/30 to 8/4 and also fished one day with Rich. Do you mind if I pile on and add some photos and my experience to this thread?

Thanks Craig....

Scoll down and watch this video clip on Craig's web site:

http://www.shastatrout.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Thanks!

Thanks Eric & Bill for adding to the post. Eric, please do contribute all you can! I hope to see you up there soon, what a magical river, until then wishing you tight lines and singing reels.
    Craig Nielsen

EricW - umm don't take offense, you're such a tease! Any day now.

Whoa sorry! Time got away from me. Some of that was time with the family though so that's ok right?

I went up July 29 to Aug 5. Was pretty wrecked after a work project and needed some time outdoors with my Shannon. Somehow someone proposed the NU flashed a few web pics of the water, forest and general green. We're in Reno, she's from the OP Washington so it was a quick sell. I'd never been and timing seemed right. So I started tying and called Scott Howell (booked of course) who bumped me to Rich Zellman that had Tues open. It's a stretch for me to get a guide, especially solo, but really glad I did it.

Really easy drive up from Reno going through Susanville > Adin (great sandwich and root beer in their general store) > KFalls > then over past Crater Lake down into the NU canyon. Rich recommended the Horseshoe Bend CG (5mi up from the Steamboat confluence) and it was great. After 2 days at one of the inner spots, we shuffled over to the very end that opened up, real private and right on the water. This CG is a little off the road compared to the rest with good spacing in the Otter Flat section. $15/night, no reservations, Dry Creek Store for gas/ice/wood/etc right nearby.

We pretty much set up, scouted the area and went for a swim the first day, but I snuck a few hours that eve, had to work out my casting and at least wet the line, skate a fly around (another first for me). It's an approachable river (so much good looking water), but the current gets intimidating pretty fast. I used my 12'6" #6 z-axis the whole time with a scandi head and it was such a pleasure to not have a sink tip! Made me feel pretty confident, then I got a real shot of electricity on that first hit... a trout (they're the real tease). Had a handful trout that eve, mostly as the fly swung into the margin, but who knew they would hit then get their mouth around a #4 bomber/gurgler thing. Many many ambitious trout during the week.

Met Rich the next morning very dark o'clock, but still weren't the first on the trail. Even he said they were there too early! We went on a mile or two, past what I could only imagine from the sound of the rushing water, split off the trail at what seemed a random unidentifiable point, sat on some bank rocks and chatted until light came. Relaxing but I was still a little itchy.

Light finally showed and Rich passed on the short course for popping flies. Not something that came natural to me and I certainly struggled a bit at first, especially keeping a good pace without putting too much slack in. Had to fight stripping in many times. By the end of the trip, it was much easier, keeping your hand low at the hip seemed to help a ton instead of reaching.

The first runs passed through without action, but I always had the feeling that fish were very close. I never felt lacking for guidance or spirit, and we kept at it through morning. An old timer nailed two in a row up from us in one area, and there were congratulations, no jealousy. As the last of the shade vanished about 10, we hiked out and agreed to meet for the 2nd shift at 4pm (Rich puts in some long days). I rolled back to the camp spot and found coffee still warm. A cup and late breakfast, but I still zonked out for an hour or two.

We met up again and Rich gave me to option of finding shade right away or waiting at one of the famous runs. It was too gorgeous for me to turn down, we waited. It didn't feel all that long. Bo, his amazing lab, joined us as well. We made our way out. Bo beat us to the stone; he knows the water! A couple casts then near the dangle, boil, I was popping and half trout set... pricked it. By the time my head said no, I half-lifted, damn. We changed flies and waited, I was still lit. Swung again, tiny boil. Back to the popper. Once more then it was gone. Rich was pretty kind to me, but we both knew. Kept working down the run eventually feeding out yards and holding til it came tight. Just as I was tripping out on my fly as it seemed to surf across a standing roller wave, a massive explosion of water and fish. Fly surfed on out, but it was amazing, never seen anything like it. We moved on to other spots, spooked one and rose another fish 3 times. Then the day was done. I thanked Rich immensely. He put me on fish for certain and I definitely learned what to do, but more than that I felt that I could do it. Not blind optimism but a deeper belief.

That was the biggest day of fishing. I got 3 more mornings and evenings in, that next morning pretty much lost in the dark until light! By the end of the week, it reached 100° in the canyon and it took a bit of a toll, even wet wading. Fished the popper whole time, maybe not the most prime water at all times, but still managed to raise two more fish. No hookups, but there's weren't any more trout sets either. I think some of those misses can be attributed to my popping skill. It was pretty erratic, big inconsistent movements that plain pulled the fly away from where the steelies thought it was going to be. Certainly something to work on. It was a great trip!
    Last edited by EricW; 08-23-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: remove bad pic links

couple more pics

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUmp2012hsmall.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	4902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUmp2012jsmall.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	4904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUmp2012csmall.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	4905  

Eric - not seeing the photos popping up in the first post but sure know the rock where that fish is holding!!! Nothing quite like a top water grab!!!!

Great report!!!
    R-

There's a troll at every bridge Rick!

I knew those pics got messed up. Try these.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUmp2012-1.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	4906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUmp2012-5.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	4907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUmp2012-4.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	4908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUmp2012-3.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	4909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NUmp2012-2.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	4910  

got to be my favorite river ever!!! Well then there is the Klamath and the Grand Ronde - so many places so little time!!!