Thread: The Calaveras River

Default The Calaveras River

Went this afternoon for a couple hours to wet the line and see if I could get lucky. El Skunkeroo! I don't know what it is with this place, but I can't catch a fish there to save my life. I know Iv'e probably gone through every fly I have too.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

did you fish the canyon area? or runs below the dam...

Runs below the dam
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

You're not alone on this my friend. This is probably the worst time of year to fish that area. So much growth, and low water. There ARE big fish in there and I've seen em caught. Gotta get real real lucky on the right day.

Anyways you probably knew all that. Thanks for the report, i've been wondering if anyones fished it lately

I only seem to do OK on the Calaveras in the spring time, as I often skip it when the flows are so low during many of the other parts of the year.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Default picky river

flows are pretty good but fish are hard to find...I try to hit the edges (fast/slow currents) with wets or soft hackles...also try smaller flies 16-20s. I like the bloody mary or Higa's SOS - look on Orvis website. Best...

~magic