Thread: Fun in the sun in Newport Bay

Default Fun in the sun in Newport Bay

Headed down south for my aunt and uncles 65th wedding anniversary. And when I go down south I always make sure I get to fish a little. This time I grabbed the float tube and fished Newport Bay. Not an easy thing to do in a float tube with the tide, you really have to pretty much kick the whole time so you don't get to far. Tons of big boats cruising by, but they really don't close. It is a great place for a kayak which I hope to get some day. Fishing was pretty good all the way through and at the top of the incoming tide. Fish started small but finally got bigger. 7 weight rod with T14 shooting head and size 2 red clousers. Throw out and let sink down for about a count of ten and strip back in, the bigger fish hit real hard and the halibuts are a blast. Can't wait to catch a bigger one but this one was a keeper size, but of course I let it go.

Can't wait to go back, San Diego for sure in January.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Thumbs up Spotties....

Good looking Spots ya got there. Nice photo's. Good to see someone getting out on those bays. I could see how tubing in that bay would be tough to hold position with the tide running. You'll have to get your Kayak soon.

I fished Newport Harbor a bunch of times many years ago. Rented a boat, got a scoop of bait (free) and headed out to locate the nearest structure. The bait was chum, if needed. Almost never was. I used a black/yellow Calico Killer; a jig with a rubber skirt and a tail. That thing was absolutely deadly on the fall. Caught Bonito, Halibut, Spotties and Sand Bass. Never a Calico, tho. Fun stuff.

Thanks for sharing....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Scott,

Looks like that was a lot of fun. Great photos as well. Is that with your new camera? I think you fished right in front of my wife's old house. jk
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

That is my new Panasonic camera, it was just on the automatic setting, I have to read the manual.

Thanks Scott it's neat to see other species of fish like that. Did you get the TS3? These pics of this bass are with a TS2 http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27359

Got the TS4 Brian.

Fantastic Scott....

Over the years I have had fellow local fly fishers say they are moving to southern Cal for family or work reasons and not not happy about loosing the fishing we have in Nor Cal.

I always tell them that they have really good saltwater fly fishing in southern Cal plus famous reservoirs for big LMB, etc.

You are also closer to Baja with cheaper airfares.

Bays, surf, inshore and offshore....too cool.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Nice variety of fish Scott! Diggin that halibut shot.