Thread: summer in Hawaii

Default summer in Hawaii

Aloha, it is summer in Hawaii and the fishing is good. I got this papio today, small GT on a 6wt bvk TFO rod. Got a couple of 5lb bones the past couple of days. Off shore is hot with nice ahi comming in. We plan on going on sunday. The HIBT, Hawaii international billfish tourney just ended. My friends released a couple of small male marlin, but had a good time in Kona. Right now the oama, baby goat fish are in so the papio are hungry. Hope you all have a good end to summer, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Summer, Hawaii, fly fishing?

I'm sure your intentions are good by posting this in public. Hopefully you're very thankful for your situation in life. I'm sure you are =)

Thumbs up Papio....

Aloha Don,.... That GT looks like it must've really fun on your 6 wt. A power house fish. All Jacks are tough.

Did you crew or fish in the tournament or is school back in session???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great Don.....

Had a guy in yesterday who lives in Sacramento and has a place on the big island.

He does a lot of wade fishing when he is there.

Sounds like a great thing.....

Don...have you been to Christmas Island?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post

Aloha, it is summer in Hawaii and the fishing is good. I got this papio today, small GT on a 6wt bvk TFO rod. Got a couple of 5lb bones the past couple of days. Off shore is hot with nice ahi comming in. We plan on going on sunday. The HIBT, Hawaii international billfish tourney just ended. My friends released a couple of small male marlin, but had a good time in Kona. Right now the oama, baby goat fish are in so the papio are hungry. Hope you all have a good end to summer, Mems.
    Don,

Great pic! Did you fish from shore or boat? Any recommendations on tackle, flies, etc. would be appreciated. I take my wife and daughters to Hawaii every year and I want to take a fly rod with me on the next trip.

Thanks.

Bill

Default Papio in Hilo

Hey Guys, I caught this fish right here, you don't need a boat. The trevally like to come inshore during the summer to feed on smaller fish and that is when it is the best shore fishing here. Bill I have been to x-mass and am going back next april with a group from portland. Hey Darian, I am back in school and couldn't crew for the HIBT. I kinda gave up on doing the tournaments. They are fun, but I would rather just fish with my friends. If anybody needs help when they come to the big island tell them to give me a call or an e-mail and I can guide them or tell them where to go and what to use. I am taking a guy from so cal out in a week. He wants to catch a bonefish! Thanks for all the positive comments, Don.
    Don Memmer

Default Hilo Park ?

Hi Don,

That looks just like the park at the mouth of the harbor in Hilo. Watched some kids throwing rubber tube plugs there for cuda a few years ago.

I forgot how the oama come in. Everybody used to fish for them right on the sea wall in Kailua. For those who don't know, oama are small yellow goatfish that seem to swarm inshore during the summer. Every bigger shoreline predator will begin to key in on them and all you need is a small yellow and white clouser for papio or his bigger cousin the omilu (blue fin trevally).

I remember the akule also balled up just off the Kailua pier for weeks at a time during summer. Big jacks would be busting through them all day long.

At the Honokahou Harbor mouth I was able to to take small ulua that were feeding on the akule as well. Throw the biggest popper you can and strip as fast as you can and hold on.
    When you'd get slammed even my 11 weight wasn't enough.

Ya gotta love summer on the Big Island
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I have a friend that has property out on the Big Island and I hope I make it out there and try some of that fishing

Nice job Mems looks like lots of fun out there
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"