Thread: trinity

Default trinity

Anyone fished the trinity for steelhead? Seen north coast fishing posts with vieo of steelhead being caught this week as well as Klamath

Any first hand info?

Traditionally some feel like the Steelhead start to come into the "long" rivers, ones that have a constant flow to the ocean, around the 4th of July.

I think these early fish will be hold up near cold deep shaded faster oxygenated water.

In deep shaded canyons, in deeper faster runs, and around cold tributary mouths.

I like to fish first thing in the morning, starting down the runs just as you can see.

The first few hours can be the big deal this time of year with long warm days and the bright sunlight.

I like a floating line, long leader to 0x and a dark size #4/6 barbless traditional winged fly.

Some just like to skate dry flies at this time.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I read almost everything I could about 30 years ago about fly fishing for Steelhead.

Before I got exposed to saltwater flats fishing I thought God put me here to fly fish for Steelhead.

After the big draught in the late 1970s we had some really bad years on the west coast for Steelhead so I got sucked into flats fishing for several decades.

Looks like I am back after the steelhead again but with a two-handed fly rod.

The best thing I found was “Dry Line Steelhead and Other Subjects [Paperback] by Bill McMillan.

Now out of print but Amato Publications talks about a reprint.

It is a bunch of articles that Bill M wrote about different types and timings of Steelhead fly fishing made into a book.

He talks about being the first one down the run.....

He talks about fishing in the low light like early, late and in the shade in the day time.

I think the Steelhead in the Klamath River like to hang around the tributaries below the mouth of the Trinity River like Blue Creek.

The Trinity River fish like to hang around in the lower Trinity just above the mouth in the deep dark canyon.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

The only problem with fly fishing in July/August and even early Sept is that the days are long and hot with only a little fishing early and late in the day or very deep.

That is why October is my favorite month to spend time up on those longer rivers in Nor Cal and Oregon.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

I would check with the Eureka Fly Shop and the Trinity Fly Shop because both of these shops have had guides on those rivers for 20 to 30 years now. They both have web sites for contact info.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was just up there last week for a week.

There were a number of salmon being gotten into by the gear guys (every boat was limiting) but none of them mentioned any steelhead being caught.

This is in the Douglas City area.

I got into a couple browns, but no chrome.

I would be looking in the early AM way down stream in the Hoopa area below Willow Creek.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene aka "Boca Grande" View Post
    I would be looking in the early AM way down stream in the Hoopa area below Willow Creek.
    You wouldn't if your entire family was at Trinity Alps Resort and it was a blessing that you even got off the Stuart's Fork for a couple days to get over to the upper trinity!

I heard that they are going to increase the flows from 450 to over 1,000 (3,000?) in the upper river starting next Wednesday the 15th--might want to check the flows if you are going next week.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

A coworker that I fly fish with is also a whitewater kyacker. He said they are bumping the flows to 1500. They are taking advantage of it and running burnt ranch gorge.

Does anyone know where to access the schedule for the upcoming flow increase?

Here's the one for the Trinity http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryRES?lew

Site says it's going from 550 to 950 between 8 and noon tomorrow

Check frequently because they don't post too far in advance
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -A. Einstein.

Default Tinity flows

I get email updates on the flows in the Trinity. Currently at 1050 cfs out of Lewiston. These flows are going to continue into late September to mitigate low flows in the lower Klamath and prevent disease in the returning salmon. Should make for some interesting fishing, especially in early September on the fly water. Check out the news release on the Trinity River Restoration Program site.
    do it with a long rod and a gentle touch.