Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loomis warranty issues

I love Orvis. I have 3 of their rods, but my 4 wt has been jinxed. I've sent it back 3 times, including one time when I lost a tip. Every time the damage has been 100% my fault, and every time they have replaced it for $30.00.

BTW, how the heck do warranties change? They can't change. But if I recall Loomis didn't have the same type of warranty as Orvis. That is one reason why I never bought a Loomis rod. I know I'm clumsy, and know I'm going to damage a rod. So I only buy rods with great warranties and customer service, like Orvis.
    Last edited by goby; 08-16-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Question Warranty Issues....

Hmmm,.... Not trying to cause an argument here, Goby, but Shimano apparently already has changed the Loomis warranty. Other companies have done the same over time whether they should or shouldn't is the real question.

In some instances, like GoldenStone's, that change has caused a loss of a customer and the possible loss of future potential business/customers. That's a choice/risk that Shimano has made. That choice is probably based on their business model and remaining competitive in the market.

So, unless you're willing to be persistent, take legal action to enforce prior warranty provisions (a dicey, expensive proposition) or threaten to use a publicity tactic, you'll have to hope that a company will agree to help you.

in most cases it's easier to just pay a relatively small fee for repairs or buy a new rod.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    what's the defect in workmanship and materials? (10 years of use, rod still usable, loses "some cork"); permit me pause to wonder if that might be normal wear and tear and not covered by Loomis' warranty.
    I also wondered if it was normal wear and tear but I decided I would send it back anyway to see what they would say. When they offered me a brand new rod for small change I wasn't going to argue with them.
    Last edited by Chet Troutpuncher; 08-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Here's a quick chronicle of my Loomis experience. Over 12 years ago i was given a present of a $200+ Loomis. After a couple years I broke it and they told me "no questions asked" I could replace at no charge, replace it with a similar or cheaper rod, or upgrade and pay the difference. So I upgraded. I continued to break my rod a couple more times and thus upgraded until my current $625 Streamdance. Last fall I broke my rod, but this time i had to pay $300! They, now owned by Shimano, said Loomis never had that warranty. THIS GETS ME VERY UPSET. Well, a freak accident, and the rod broke again and just recently they fixed only the broken tip, and charged 'only' $120. Oh well.
    And yes, i have to take better care of my rods!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenStone View Post
    Here's a quick chronicle of my Loomis experience. Over 12 years ago i was given a present of a $200+ Loomis. After a couple years I broke it and they told me "no questions asked" I could replace at no charge, replace it with a similar or cheaper rod, or upgrade and pay the difference. So I upgraded. I continued to break my rod a couple more times and thus upgraded until my current $625 Streamdance. Last fall I broke my rod, but this time i had to pay $300! They, now owned by Shimano, said Loomis never had that warranty. THIS GETS ME VERY UPSET. Well, a freak accident, and the rod broke again and just recently they fixed only the broken tip, and charged 'only' $120. Oh well.
    And yes, i have to take better care of my rods!

Have you asked to see if they will just straight out replace it? Like I said when my brother called them they said that a straight out replacement will be 100 bucks a lot cheaper then getting that rod repaired.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Yes. That's when Shimano charged $300. But I told them it was my fault. Funny thing though, the warranty guy on the phone was explaining how to make a claim. And I swear he was trying to hint to me to claim the rod was broken on a fish. I did and was charged the $120. Thx.

G.Loomis Xpeditor: a paid service that allows you to replace a broken rod expediently and without question. Just call them at phone 1-877-577-0600 and request Xpedite Service: Apron receiving your request, G.Loomis will immediately ship a replacement rod via standard ground delivery When you receive your new rod, remove it from the shipping tube, place the broken rod into that same tube and affix the enclosed (pre-paid) shipping label on the outside of the tube. The cost: $100.00 U.S. & $125.00 CAD (Per Rod) for standard ground delivery (Master card or Visa only) I have used it and it is painless
    ><((((º>
    If it doesn’t kill you it makes you stronger!