Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southeast Alaska

Default Southeast Alaska

Just returned from Baranof Island (east side) in SE Alaska. Wet, wet, wet...but that's a good thing.

The silver salmon were scattered and just beginning to show in the lower Chatham Strait.

The pink salmon were in the rivers along with dolly varden.

The rockfish topwater bite, yes I said topwater bite, was fan-friggen-tastic.

Whales, bears, eagles, otters, mink and beavers, all put on quite a show.

No pics because of the weather. Oh well. Next time!

Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

A few years back I did a two week long sea kayaking trip down one side of Admiralty Island, just to the east of Baranof. Unfortunately, we were there too early so the streams were dead, as all of the fish were still out in the salt. I got a few, but the beauty, wildlife and solitude more than made up for it. Humpback whales, eagles as plentiful as pigeons, a pod of orcas, and plenty of ursine activity, both seen and unseen. And yeah, it was wet for us as well...
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Say hey dave,
    I bet you had an amazing adventure! Admiralty is still loaded with brown bear (Grizz). We saw them every day. They were healthy families doing what they do -- eating fish, berries, crabs, etc.

All the wildlife in SE Alaska is a powerful encounter. It truly is one of my favorite places to be. Having guided/instructed there the past 19 years, I've become pretty intimate with the humpback whale population (besides the FF work, I had the opportunity to be working with research vessels on the water). The whales are grand, majestic creatures. I can't even put into words how I feel.

Another thing I really enjoy is feeding the eagles fresh rockfish. That's always very cool to see the wind on their leg feathers and the water thrown behind as they come down to pick the fish off the surface.

I hope you have the chance to get back up north some time.
    Cheers, Ken

Awesome Ken! One time I was gear fishing for bottom fish off Crescent city and the rock bass were hitting the top all around us all day. I cant believe I didnt have a fly rod in the boat. Pretty amazing sight!

Quote Originally Posted by k.hanley View Post
    Say hey dave,
    I bet you had an amazing adventure! Admiralty is still loaded with brown bear (Grizz). We saw them every day. They were healthy families doing what they do -- eating fish, berries, crabs, etc.

All the wildlife in SE Alaska is a powerful encounter. It truly is one of my favorite places to be. Having guided/instructed there the past 19 years, I've become pretty intimate with the humpback whale population (besides the FF work, I had the opportunity to be working with research vessels on the water). The whales are grand, majestic creatures. I can't even put into words how I feel.

Another thing I really enjoy is feeding the eagles fresh rockfish. That's always very cool to see the wind on their leg feathers and the water thrown behind as they come down to pick the fish off the surface.

I hope you have the chance to get back up north some time.
    Cheers, Ken

Hey Ken-

Yeah, it was quite the trip. We kayaked from the tram at the end of Oliver Inlet to my friend's cabin on Pybus Bay. I remember hearing my first eagle in Juneau and being all excited, and then after that, they seemed to be everywhere all of the time, so some of the thrill was diminished a tiny bit. They are such beautiful and majestic creatures.

We also had the pleasure of seeing many, many humpbacks feeding, breaching and just cruising along. We had one come right up on us to check us out and when it exhaled out of the blowhole 20 or so feet to my left, I almost soiled my shorts! I recall hearing them at night while laying in my tent and the noise they made and how it echoed up and down Seymour Canal. Haunting, yet very cool.

Yeah LOTS of coastal browns on Admiralty. We saw well over 20 different bears, some more than once. We did see a sow and her three cubs and I recall how she stood on the beach and stared us down as we floated 80 feet or so off the shore. Talk about intimidating! She didn't flinch or move until they had retreated back into the woods. Plenty of scat around (some still warm!) and tracks all over the island. They don't call it "the fortress of the bears" for nothing!

My only regret was that my expectations of the fishing were so high, and that just didn't work out. But we were there in mid-July, so now I know better for when I go back. I think I'll hit the Kenai Peninsula next time, though. So much to see up that way. Alaska is such a huge, vast and incredibly beautiful place.

Sounds like it was worth it!
    I'm little less than a year away from going to the Kenai Peninsula (Cooper Landing) and I am soooo looking forward to that trip!
    The bummer is that we are getting on a cruise ship out of Seattle just after this trip, going up to Tracy Arm via Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway but the wives will not let us fish during the cruise!

Jay........Those rockies are a great grab! I've loved FF'ing for them since learning the game in Monterey Bay back in the early 70's. The Alaska grab is world class (but not everyone's cup of tea). I'd travel to AK just for the rocky action. We had a few days were a 1/4 mile of shoreline was blowing up with topwater boils. My guests couldn't believe their eyes. They sure changed their idea about chasing "those trash fish." They had a friggin' ball casting poppers and sliders in the saltwater. The next time you go back to Oregon you have to give the shallow water rockies a try. We usually target the surface to 25 feet down as prime habitat.

Dave........Those sleeping whales do create an "other-worldly" sound. We have them in Kelp Bay and it's pretty cool to sit out at night and listen to the chorus. Sorry about the fishing not making the grade for you (a few years back). Things cycle. Salmon can be boom bust experiences. What did you guys target with your tackle?

Jeff...........I can honestly say Alaska is always worth it for me. You should have a grand time voyaging up "The Inside Passage." The Kenai also offers you some cool experiences. I would highly suggest doing some research and hitting the trails when you get there. There are terrific stream and lake experiences besides the main river action.

Cheers, Ken

I fished almost every stream I saw, but the only fish I caught were coastal cutthroats and dolly varden, all out of the salt. They would school up in these small inlets and surge around in such numbers that it was unmistakable that they were there. A quick cast with a streamer would get a fish every time. Nothing big, but fun. I have almost zero experience fly fishing in salt water, so I was probably going about it all wrong. According to my friend with the cabin on Pybus, when the salmon are running, the fishing in the streams is crazy. Yeah, I know we missed it, but it was still a great trip.

Eagles in Alaska are like crows here. Used to see 'em on street signs in Kenai/Soldotna. Trouble with Alaska fishing is timing, as with all anadromous fish; gotta be there when they are. With some research you can avoid the road-side crowds on the Kenai. Take the upper Russian River trail, Crescent Lake for Grayling, Swanson River Canoe trail, good lake fishing, hike a bit and you get out of the crowds. Don't miss the Kenai River Canyon float, some BIG bows in there.
    Robert

I agree with "pv's" suggestions. I pulled oars for a short time on the Kenai (back in the early 80's). The rainbows in the upper river are outstanding.

The grayling were well worth the hike as well.
    Cheers, Ken